Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to oldtoolheaven.com?

What happened to oldtoolheaven.com?

As the title asks, anybody know what happened to this website, an extremely valuable Millers Falls reference? When I try to access it, all I get is a message indicating the website is suspended. Google it and it’s description is blank. Has it morphed into another site with a different url? You’d think if that was the case it would redirect to the current site. A number of these sites are disappearing; I hope this isn’t another one.

I don't know what happened to the site but you could use archive.org to access past pages. It's sometimes very slow and not everything is there. I would grab what info I can though.

Or this link to take you straight there.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks Hilton, but every search I’ve tried came up empty. It appears oldtoolheaven.com has gone to old tool heaven. It’s a shame,

Blog Entries
    It was a great source of information for Millers Falls tools.

It is sad to see it disappear.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sad indeed to lose resources like this . Helped me a great deal. And thanks for archive.org where I just found a manual for my Langdon Acme mitre box.

Here is one you might have missed: https://langdonmitreboxes.wordpress.com/blog/ When restoring my Langdon, it was very helpful in how the truing adjustments work.

On the archive.org link, you can click on a specific date on the calendar. For example, this is oldtoolheaven.com on May 17 of this year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200517...oolheaven.com/

Blog Entries
    My suggestion for those interested would be to save the pages as web archives incase these pages do not come back.

Someone has to continue paying for web pages to be hosted. It is often done out of a passion to share information without any renumeration.

When it gets to be too much of a burden it may be too late to pass it off to another who shares the passion.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Chang View Post
    On the archive.org link, you can click on a specific date on the calendar. For example, this is oldtoolheaven.com on May 17 of this year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200517...oolheaven.com/
    Brilliant! Thank you Winston.

Was in contact with the fellow that runs the site. it was hacked. He hopes to have it back up in early December.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Was in contact with the fellow that runs the site. it was hacked. He hopes to have it back up in early December.
    That's great news, thanks Phil for digging deeper on this.

jtk

Yes, great news indeed. Thanks Phil. Considering it’s not an interactive website, I wonder why someone would hack it. There wouldn’t be any opportunity to steal personal data from it. Strange times we’re living in.

Good to hear. I think his registration expires in January, maybe you could remind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Yes, great news indeed. Thanks Phil. Considering it’s not an interactive website, I wonder why someone would hack it. There wouldn’t be any opportunity to steal personal data from it. Strange times we’re living in.

Hackers target websites with poor security or outdated protocols. Most of the time it's nothing to do with the actual content of the site.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Hackers target websites with poor security or outdated protocols. Most of the time it's nothing to do with the actual content of the site.
    I agree. It can be as simple as "I hacked it because I could."
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”