Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resaw Advice

Resaw Advice

I may be heading down a rabbit hole with this, but I’m looking into adding Resaw capabilities to my shop. Curious if anyone has experience using the Grizzly G0503 or if there is advice on a better option. Looking to be able to go from veneer thickness to 1/4” mostly. Thought about vertical bandsaw initially, but worried about users/employees keeping things accurate and all their fingers.

Thank you!

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...-bandsaw/g0503
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Cutting veneer with that beast?! Wow, that's like bringing a tank to a knife fight!

You could look for one of the old Hitachi resaws at auction. If I ever wanted a dedicated small footprint resaw I figured that's the way I'd go.

Depending on what volume and size of material you could likely dedicate a modest vertical and a feeder and once setup it'd be no fingers. You obviously have the space for that machine but im never too hopeful for those machines regardless of others experience with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Cutting veneer with that beast?! Wow, that's like bringing a tank to a knife fight!
    OMG!!! Nuclear weapons. Amazing.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So you’re saying it’d be efficient? Lol
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Have you heard that they’re not reliable, or worth the cost? We would need to run boards daily and as smoothly as possible. Machine concept seems to be a great solution, unless it never performs as needed.
    If you were trying to run these daily, what would your ideal setup be?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    You could look for one of the old Hitachi resaws at auction. If I ever wanted a dedicated small footprint resaw I figured that's the way I'd go.

Depending on what volume and size of material you could likely dedicate a modest vertical and a feeder and once setup it'd be no fingers. You obviously have the space for that machine but im never too hopeful for those machines regardless of others experience with one.
    Have you used one of those? Horribly underpowered! They had a universal motor on them, not much different than a router motor. Purely a hobby machine, but I'm sure some people love them. Only good in business if you build a 2' bench under them, and then hang a 5hp motor off the back!
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 11-25-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Looks like the perfect machine for a business. It will also let you resaw 5/4 stock into drawer stock quite efficiently. The power feed will be the biggest labor savings you will get. You can put your unskilled help feeding that instead of some having them waste stock on a regular bandsaw with feeding too fast or too slow. It'll pay for itself in labor savings. Great choice!
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 11-25-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Have you used one of those? Horribly underpowered! They had a universal motor on them, not much different than a router motor. Purely a hobby machine, but I'm sure some people love them. Only good in business if you build a 2' bench under them, and then hang a 5hp motor off the back!
    Most anyone who runs one of the CB75F's swaps out the motor. A resaw with a 3" blade capacity is anything but a hobby level machine. Not a heavy production resaw by any means, at that level your in the big iron world. If you havent seen one run you'd likely be suprised at the resaw speed for a small machine. That said they are not a horizontal production resaw either. It depends on what your throughput, material size, and demand is. Without pointing it out, my point was I dont care if you find five people that have had decent results with the machine posted there is an extremely high potential for a painful experience/boat anchor for 9K which was why I suggested an alternate.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Funny how google works and popping up stuff you've recently typed... but maybe your talking about the big brother to the CB75 and the CB100 being a hobby level machine? As you can see, motor swap is still pretty much typical.

https://youtu.be/We26vZYuG58

Quote Originally Posted by Braden Todd View Post
    Have you heard that they’re not reliable, or worth the cost? We would need to run boards daily and as smoothly as possible. Machine concept seems to be a great solution, unless it never performs as needed.
    If you were trying to run these daily, what would your ideal setup be?

Thank you
    No I have no direct knowledge of the machine was only posting with regards to your "other options". My portable sawmill runs a 1.25" blade (wider) and a 144" length (only slightly shorter) than the Grizzly on a 15HP motor (gas) so the 20HP spec'd is far and away more power. As I mentioned in another reply Im just alway very cautious with regards to what will actually land on the floor with that option. Worst case in the end you may wind up with heft credit to keep your lips zipped and work your way through it. Best case its plug and play.

It will be hard to beat a conveyor fed horizontal resaw if it runs non stop from the instant it hits the floor. If it doesnt.. who knows.

That doesn't look like a veneer sawing machine to me. Those two narrow top rollers are all that's holding down the wood and that's insufficient if you want to cut veneer off the top. If you are trying to cut the veneer off the bottom then you'll have to put the board on top of a spacer because the minimum depth of cut is 1/4" if I understand the specs. correctly. Also, the max. cut width is 12", which might be enough but many vertical bandsaws come with more. I would have thought it would take a blade wider than 1", too, to better take advantage of the 20 hp motor.

John

Last edited by Bradley Gray; 11-25-2020 at 3:26 PM.

I've got two different re-saws made by Northtech...one vertical and one Horizontal...... both work great. The Vertical saw is probably priced in the $6,000-$8,000 range and the Horizontal is probably in the $18,000 to $24,000 range...... I no longer am in the Instrument building business and have possible interest in selling. Both saws were used on a small level contact me by private email if interested..... TN is the location

H-Resaw IMG_1347.jpgAttachment 445637northtech_hb_800_pf.png
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 11-25-2020 at 6:22 PM. Reason: clear up photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Most anyone who runs one of the CB75F's swaps out the motor. A resaw with a 3" blade capacity is anything but a hobby level machine. Not a heavy production resaw by any means, at that level your in the big iron world. If you havent seen one run you'd likely be suprised at the resaw speed for a small machine. That said they are not a horizontal production resaw either. It depends on what your throughput, material size, and demand is. Without pointing it out, my point was I dont care if you find five people that have had decent results with the machine posted there is an extremely high potential for a painful experience/boat anchor for 9K which was why I suggested an alternate.
    You didn't tell the OP that he would have to repower it, so I had to assume you had no experience with it. That's why I came in. Just because it can handle a 3" blade, that doesn't make it an industrial machine. Reinventing machines is not usually the best method for a production shop. Unless there is a maintenance shop on site. A production shop is depending on output and bringing in a machine to set on the floor and make money is far better than looking at auctions for a discontinued machine that has to be rebuilt before use. Buy the right machine and it makes money the day it shows up. Might take the OP months to find a used Hitachi. Meanwhile he's making money on the new machine.