Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resaw Advice

Failed to mention that we have two of the Hitachi CB75F saws..... Great saw but if you go this route you will need to upsize the motor as well as a make or purchase roller bearing guides for top and bottom of the saw..... it has some kind of machine plastic material stock as guides and they want last long....

Other negative is the table is somewhat short for large re-saws without roller tables. Attachment 445638

We also rigged a Powermatic 24" bandsaw to saw re-saw with a 1 1/2" blade and bandsaw stock feeder and it works great for short material.
    Attachment 445639
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 11-25-2020 at 6:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You didn't tell the OP that he would have to repower it, so I had to assume you had no experience with it. That's why I came in. Just because it can handle a 3" blade, that doesn't make it an industrial machine. Reinventing machines is not usually the best method for a production shop. Unless there is a maintenance shop on site. A production shop is depending on output and bringing in a machine to set on the floor and make money is far better than looking at auctions for a discontinued machine that has to be rebuilt before use. Buy the right machine and it makes money the day it shows up. Might take the OP months to find a used Hitachi. Meanwhile he's making money on the new machine.
    Swapping a motor is not reinventing a machine. Ive done it a dozen times in my own shop and I have no on-site fab department though there is mig, tig, oxygen fuel, 250a stick, metal lathe. And or course cnc, in the shop. Swapping a single phase for three phase or stepping up the hp ain't rocket science but im with ya. If it's out of your league best to step aside.

As shown in the video I posted and the cost of the machines in the comment that follows.. a large vertical if it can be found at auction cab be pretty lucrative. Those CB machines can often be had very attractively priced

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Swapping a motor is not reinventing a machine. Ive done it a dozen times in my own shop and I have no on-site fab department though there is mig, tig, oxygen fuel, 250a stick, metal lathe. And or course cnc, in the shop. Swapping a single phase for three phase or stepping up the hp ain't rocket science but im with ya. If it's out of your league best to step aside.

As shown in the video I posted and the cost of the machines in the comment that follows.. a large vertical if it can be found at auction cab be pretty lucrative. Those CB machines can often be had very attractively priced
    You're hilarious Mark, you have no idea of my skills, but yet you think that making that kind of comment will bother me? Even funnier. You're the expert, you win. LOL

I am far from an expert at anything other than back pain and not trying to bother but I never suggested reinventing a machine, rehabbing a machine, or a business having to rehab/build a resaw from scratch. ;-) Happy Thanksgiving
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 11-26-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Hi Kevin,
    Sorry for the delay getting back to this. Holiday rush has been crazy this year. Would you mind shooting me an email? Tried to find yours and failed lol Braden@glassmith2.com

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Braden Todd View Post
    I may be heading down a rabbit hole with this, but I’m looking into adding Resaw capabilities to my shop. Curious if anyone has experience using the Grizzly G0503 or if there is advice on a better option. Looking to be able to go from veneer thickness to 1/4” mostly. Thought about vertical bandsaw initially, but worried about users/employees keeping things accurate and all their fingers.

Thank you!

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...-bandsaw/g0503
    Braden, I have Grizzly's big brother to that saw, the G0504. We have used it to make literally tens of thousands of linear feet of veneer, and I have been very pleased with it. Our saw has operated for 6 - 7 hours straight daily for weeks on end w/o any problems.

Tolerances per sheet are usually within .003, give or take. The quality of the bands makes a tremendous difference in the results; Grizzly recommends the Lenox Trimaster's, but up until recently we've had the best results from the Laguna Resaw Kings. Be advised that Laguna moved their band production from California to South Carolina earlier this year, and they are still working though some quality issues. Hopefully they have them resolved by now.

I can't speak to the smaller saw, but can say that the G0504 has met or exceeded all of my expectations.