Thread: New (to me) use for Preppin Weapon sanding block

New (to me) use for Preppin Weapon sanding block

I really like the preppin weapon sanding blocks. Had this idea last time I was using gray scotch brite pads to "de-nib" between coats of finish. Worked great, and easier on the hands than holding the pad directly or wrapping it around a block of wood. I thought it might tear, but the pad that's on there has done a bunch of panels.

Preppin-weapon.jpg
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

How do you like that for sanding? I remember my Dad had one when I was a kid. You used to be able to buy them at the hardware store but the only place I've seen them lately is Lee Valley and Amazon. At $25 I'm hoping the quality is good.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

On sale at Woodcraft $17.99
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Rob: I really like them for sanding. Sturdy and well made, 1/4 sheet, quick to load, just the right amount of flex or give. I keep several of them, each loaded with a different grit (although if you have the strips precut, it only takes a few seconds to switch paper).

George...thanks for the sale tip; I may have to pick up another one or two.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

George - Thanks for the tip. I ordered a couple. Delivered they're the same price as Amazon (Woodcraft sale price plus freight and tax versus Amazon regular price plus tax and free freight) but I thought I send some business to the Woodcraft guys for a change.

Paul - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been using a little homebrew block for years and it doesn't hold the paper very well.

Use promo code "Sawdust" for free shipping at woodcraft.

I love them and have three. Red, yellow and green — each with different grits typically 120, 150, 220.

Good suggestion. Thanks
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

another way I've found to use the scotch pads is with a hand sander with loops - pads stick to them quite nicely. And the PW is an outstanding sanding block - I have 5 of them.

20201125_130018.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    George - Thanks for the tip. I ordered a couple. Delivered they're the same price as Amazon (Woodcraft sale price plus freight and tax versus Amazon regular price plus tax and free freight) but I thought I send some business to the Woodcraft guys for a change.

Paul - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been using a little homebrew block for years and it doesn't hold the paper very well.
    20 minutes after I ordered these from Woodcraft I got an email telling me the promo code for the free shipping. A little late. An hour after that they sent me an email telling me they were out of stock and backordered. I cancelled the order. Once I get the cancellation confirmed I'll go to Amazon.

I have several each loaded with a different grit and readily accessible. It is so nice to be able to have the right grit handy. And the block can hold up to three sheets at a time, a real time saver!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    20 minutes after I ordered these from Woodcraft I got an email telling me the promo code for the free shipping. A little late. An hour after that they sent me an email telling me they were out of stock and backordered. I cancelled the order. Once I get the cancellation confirmed I'll go to Amazon.
    My Amazon order showed up today. I’m very impressed with the quality of these. Very stout construction. A little spendy for a sanding block but on reflection worth every penny.

Preppin' Weapon another comment.

As others, I have multiples with a different grit on each one. Two great advances over the previous 3 M rubber blocks I've used.
    #1 they have the correct firmness. With the 3Ms they were mushy at times and the "nails" sometime would get bent over.
    #2 I usually cut a full sheet of paper into fourths. With the 3Ms there is a lot of paper folded over in order to get the proper tension, with the PW's you really gain a good amount to use, with less waste because of the clamping system used..

Ed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I have several each loaded with a different grit and readily accessible. It is so nice to be able to have the right grit handy. And the block can hold up to three sheets at a time, a real time saver!
    This is what I do.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler