Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8’ straight edge

8’ straight edge

I have the opportunity to pick up an 8’ long Starrett straightedge for a good price.
    But apart from trueing long planer beds would I use this edge much in woodworking?
    I have a 72” long carpet layers steel “straight edge” that I use right now, but I’d go get the 8’ if I thought it would be of use.
    Thank!

I would take your 6' carpet straight edge with you and put it on the Starrett. If your 6' rule is true, you don't really need the 8'. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I would take your 6' carpet straight edge with you and put it on the Starrett. If your 6' rule is true, you don't really need the 8'. IMO.
    Having said that, how can anyone pass up an 8' Starrett at a reasonable price???

Then again, what if your 6' is true and the Starrett is not? Life can get so complicated.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 11-24-2020 at 6:31 PM.

Unless it’s been stored and handled properly it’s a toss up if it’s still as accurate as new.
    Might be only the name remains good.
    Aj

I’d pick it up in a heart beat. Would be excellent for aligning jointer beds and as a long reference good for things like sheet goods.

I'd buy it, I currently use a heavy piece of 2x3 steel tubing for a "straight" edge that long, it'd be nice to have something less cumbersome.

I would buy it, but the other side of the coin is “if you need to ask you probably do not need it.”
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

It would be in my shop by now if I had the opportunity your have
    Ron

Depends, what is a good price ??? and will it actually get used ???

The seller wants $300. I feel that’s a good price so long as it’s in good condition of course.
    I am going by in the morning to take a look.
    Wish me luck!

I didn't know Starrett made an 8' straightedge. The longest steel straightedge on their website is 72" listing for $615. $300 for an 8' in good shape would be a steal- if you need it.

It will be heavy and require careful storage.

How will you check it for accuracy?

I have a 6' Starrett that only comes out of its box when I move my jointer or someone needs to borrow it to check theirs. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to have an accurate reference but practically speaking I could live without it. Except I know I will probably need it again one day and I don't know where else I would lay my hands on one. So yes, run out and buy it, and don't look back.

I have a 6' Starrett. It takes two hands to move it around. This is a good thing when marking or cutting but sometimes hinders getting it "on the marks" by myself. I also have a 12 foot Starrett rule rule from Ebay that I use maybe once a year. More of a conversation piece. "Bet you haven't seen one of these"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    The seller wants $300. I feel that’s a good price so long as it’s in good condition of course.
    I am going by in the morning to take a look.
    Wish me luck!
    I have a 6 ft from Suburbantools it’s stored in a cardboard tube hanging from the end. I do this because it’s precision ground. If it gets dropped or stored on its side and picks up a twist or bend it’s just another piece of steel.
    I saw that one on Craigslist sitting on its side hanging over the bench. If you can get it cheaper and have it re ground that would make it a deal.
    Im looking for a granite for a friend one that doesn’t weigh 6000 pounds. That how I came across it.
    Good Luck Mark
    Aj

Thanks Andrew. I imagine it would cost a small fortune to have that edge re-ground if it needs it.
    What’s the best way to check if the edge is true?

6 foot precision ground from a shear blade, 1/2" thick never weighed it but its serious weight, it sits in my home hanging on a wall.