Thread: Basement Shop Ventilation Help

Basement Shop Ventilation Help

I am moving my shop into a basement in a commercial building, there are no windows in the room or HVAC, but I plan on having the contractor cut a space in the wall cinder block wall for a wall unit AC/Heater, there is not enough space outside to have a mini split unit, so a through wall unit will have to suffice.

The shop space is 400 square feet.

I am concerned about fresh air ventilation and generally being able to clear out the dust in the air. I have a ceiling mounted air cleaner from Jet and a cyclone dust collector, but I would like top get some sort of fan/air exchanger that can have mounted through the wall to the exterior of the building that can swap out the dusty shop air with fresh air, or at least something to pump out the shop air and open the shop door and rely on getting fresh air from the rest of the building.

I want this fan/air exchanger to be as small as possible to limit the size hole I need to cut in the wall.

Thanks so much

Those wall units have a fresh air mode you can select.
    The air cleaner probably has a poor prefilter that can be removed to add a good pleated house type air filter.

How about a louvered attic fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Those wall units have a fresh air mode you can select.
    The air cleaner probably has a poor prefilter that can be removed to add a good pleated house type air filter.
    Am having some trouble finding a unit that has that feature, have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    How about a louvered attic fan?

I am open to that, just would like some specific guidance on size, quality brand etc..

Whats needed in a workshop etc..

Tjernlund.com Pronounced Chern-lund. They are an old line US Manuf of assorted ventilation products. My old company has represented them since '58. Good people, good products!

you need to look at volume of space, not just square foot. Google says 5 air changes per hour but that's not for chemicals. you might want an explosion proof fan if you are doing finishing.

the smaller the hole, the faster the air, the louder the fan. also think about make-up air -- you might want two holes. your neighbors aren't going to like the shop door open because of the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Tjernlund.com Pronounced Chern-lund. They are an old line US Manuf of assorted ventilation products. My old company has represented them since '58. Good people, good products!
    Thanks, just checked their site, I think the basement air exchanger might be right for me. I will call them tomorrow to get their thoughts on my setup and if this is the correct product.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill St Amant View Post
    you need to look at volume of space, not just square foot. Google says 5 air changes per hour but that's not for chemicals. you might want an explosion proof fan if you are doing finishing.

the smaller the hole, the faster the air, the louder the fan. also think about make-up air -- you might want two holes. your neighbors aren't going to like the shop door open because of the noise.
    It's just standard room height, about 9ft. I do plan on spraying waterborne finishes and Shelac. Is that something that really necessary?

Noise isn't a huge concern, I only plan on running the fans occasionally.

try to get to Tom T or Tim Dwyer and tell them I told you to call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    Am having some trouble finding a unit that has that feature, have any suggestions?
    Straight AC window units usually have it but maybe not heat pump window units.
    I would get the A/C type and just use a space heater. When real cold, use a propane Mr Heater to knock off the initial chill.

air changes are typically figured as a constant -- not intermittent. that means the fans are running whenever you are in the space working. regarding whether spraying alcohol-based finishes is a danger, I don't have the background to say whether an explosion-proof fan is prudent or over-kill. [saying I've done it plenty of times before with no problem isn't a reliable gage.] you are on the right track doing the research before doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    I am open to that, just would like some specific guidance on size, quality brand etc..

Whats needed in a workshop etc..
    They have CFM ratings based on attic size.

A 12" will move a lot of air.