Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailor's Clapper (what?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Got curious and found this:

Is the wood special?

Tailor’s clappers are made out of hardwood only. In order to do the job, the wood has to be heavy and close-grained. Maple and tulipwood are popular! If you use another, less dense wood, it can absorb the steam and pop the wood grain! And NOBODY wants a popped wood grain...
    Thanks.

After hand delivering these yesterday, my wife's friend noted that she belonged to a local sewing and embroidery club and would I be interested in making a few more of these.

I have lots of scraps of Maple, plus it's one of the cheaper and readily available woods in this area.

So today, I'm going to make a router template, just in case.

In a past life, I made a little sun shade visor for the Honda Goldwing motorcycle's GPS, for myself, but ended up hand making selling over a 1000 of them worldwide, so who knows, maybe get a little return on the tools in the garage...

These are what I made for Linda and one of her sewing friends. They are reversible, the narrow pointed "top" is used for those tighter seams // corners areas. Maple is the material for both contact surfaces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 11-27-2020 at 9:36 PM.

This thread made me think of Jack Webb's "copper clapper caper".
    https://www.metacafe.com/watch/26694...clapper_caper/