Thread: Jointer planer choices

Jointer planer choices

I'm considering upgrading my griz 8 inch jointer. Seems combo machines are liked by many. With a budget of roughly 3k, it seems Jet jjp-12 and Grizzly are the options. Can anyone help with experience with either of these or suggest reasonable alternatives.

Need is stock prep up to 12 inches wide. DIY serious hobby guy.

I'm happy with my King Canada J/P combo which you could add to your comparison. Similar to the Jet, but has a few improvements IIRC. Seems to me when I was looking at them that at least one of the brands required removing the fence to convert modes. That would be a no-go for me. Also, IIRC, the grizz has the pork chop guard. My preference is for the European style guard but others prefer the pork chop. Matter of preference.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I had a Jet JJP-12 with straight knives for about 5 yrs before I downsized. It was a solid and reliable machine for me. I have read that some folks believed that the tables were difficult to keep in alignment but that was not my experience. I have not seen the Grizzly however there was recent thread here where the owner reported that Grizzly changed the outfeed roller to a knurled roller that left embossed marks on his wood. Even after machining the roller, I don't believe he ever achieved satisfactory results as he was hoping for a final finish to be achieved off the tool. My JJP-12 did produce a very fine finish and I wish I had room for one again.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-24-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

The J/P combos with the parallelogram or eccentric jointer table height (depth of cut) mechanisms are usually capable of leaving the jointer fence on while both tables are tilted up to use the planer.

The Grizzly combos (and some others, usually older designs) that have angled ways (sort of) for adjusting jointer table height (depth of cut), pivot around that rear way when tilting up and them out of the way for planing. Therefore, they do not remain parallel to each other as they are tilted up/back. So you have to remove the fence (and put it somewhere else) while you are planing.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Like Dick I had a stand alone planer that left embossed marks from the outfield roller. My methodology was to plane slightly oversize and use a dual-drum sander to get to the desired size.
    That is why I got a Hammer A-341 jointer/planer machine with smooth outfield roller. Finish ready boards was the result.

your first method was a waste of time. Hard to believe finish ready. The hammer you tube I saw had knife marks like any other machine would. Cleanest ive seen is from Joes Martin.

The Jet JJP-12 produced an excellent finish. The infeed roller is serrated and the outfeed roller has a firm rubber covering. I always sanded my finished boards as a matter of routine but it was minimal.
    IMGP3221.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

I also have a Jet JJP-12 and my experience is like Dick's. I mostly work with domestic hardwoods not gnarly or figured materials so straight knives have been fine. When I bought mine the helical head was not offered. I'm not a heavy user so don't have to change knives frequently. I bought mine primarily because I can get wide boards and wanted the jointer width. The table length is 55" which may seem short but the rule of thumb I've heard is you can joint material 1.5X to 2X the bed length. 55 x 1.5 = 82". I learned to cut to rough length before flattening to minimize waste. Hammer A3-31s are popular here but at the time Hammer was over 2X the price of Jet. I got mine from equipment sales and surplus in Auburn WA. They drop shipped from Jet's warehouse in TN. I just checked their site and hooo boy the prices have gone up! I think I paid around $1800, now they're $2800 for the straight knife version, $4300 for the helical head. Free shipping at least.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-27-2020 at 11:35 AM.

I had the JJP-12HH, also purchased from Auburn, WA. It was a great machine and I had no snipe. I never changed the knives or had any trouble with it. The only reason I sold it was to upgrade to a Hammer A3-41, with 16" surface. Still awaiting shipment on that.

I also have the JJP-12HH. Set up was a little fussy but it's been cranking for 5 years now and I have no complaints.

Look for a used unit. You should be able to find one for less than $3K if you are patient. I found a 14" MiniMax that's built like a 750lb tank. Paid just under $2K for it with the mortiser. FWIW, I've had J/P's with the Euro guard and this one has a pork chop guard, and I prefer the pork chop. I wouldn't discount a machine because of the guard that's on it.

John