Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help deciding on first machines to buy!?

Guys we have done it again ,lost the OP after his first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Guys we have done it again ,lost the OP after his first post.
    Lol no I'm still here! I would like to thank everyone for all the suggestions though, I didn't expect to get so many responses and its been great having a few opinions to read each day. After talking to the wife about budget and stuff ive decided to get a full combo, just have to decide which one now. I figure since every machine has a lengthy lead time its not really a big deal if I go over budget a bit if it results in me not having to deal with selling and upgrading in the nearer future. I also probably should have said my first project planned is to build 5 klipsch thx clone speakers and a nice tv stand.

Hi Jeremy, speaking of Klipsch, I have a pair of Lascala’s as the front mains in the living room. As you can tell Diann is a very understanding spouse.

Good luck on the shop, for me with a small shop, a J/P and a saw/shaper combo provided Ed the most functionality and capacity in the smallest space.....Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sims View Post
    Lol no I'm still here! I would like to thank everyone for all the suggestions though, I didn't expect to get so many responses and its been great having a few opinions to read each day. After talking to the wife about budget and stuff ive decided to get a full combo, just have to decide which one now. I figure since every machine has a lengthy lead time its not really a big deal if I go over budget a bit if it results in me not having to deal with selling and upgrading in the nearer future. I also probably should have said my first project planned is to build 5 klipsch thx clone speakers and a nice tv stand.
    I may have already mentioned this, but in a recent communication with Sam, he did mention that the configurations they typically stock here in the US will likely have shorter lead times than custom configurations, so if that didn't some up in your previous conversations, you may want to ask him which "combination combinations", as it were, are more likely to be available to you faster if you want to move forward. Whichever machine you do end up with, you'll really enjoy it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Following with interest, because I'm in a similar boat (touch more money but less space) -- hope the OP will keep us updated.
    I'll be interested to hear more about the Robland combination tools -- if they are equal in quality to the Minimax / Hammer offerings, the price the OP was quoted sounds extremely attractive. Are parts and service for them readily available in the US?

Hey Ed. I haven't pulled the trigger on the Robland yet but I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going to go. I have all the price sheets on the combo's from Martin team (except HX 260) and the prices are extremely competitive vs Felder/Scm. They are also a lot more similar to Felder in regards to building up what you want vs SCM route. I would assume there 260 series probably competes well with scm's genius series but I dont really know as thats the only one I didnt look at. However they don't seem to offer anything that competes really well with the standard Lap 300p unless you want to give up a few things it offers for a decent savings. I will say if you're looking at the larger combos a pretty decked out NX 410 pro can be had for 13k or a cu 300c/C3 performer equivalent for 9-10k.

As far as service goes I've been getting a good response from the Martin side even over Thanksgiving week (i even got a response from the Belgium team when i put in for a catalog request).

how heavy are machines these days, it is still each manufacturer has two or three lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    how heavy are machines these days, it is still each manufacturer has two or three lines?
    For combos, it at least seems like the stratification currently is around size and features. I'd divide the SCM/Minimax offerings into two tiers since they have the small C series combos at the "lower" end and the 300 and 410 versions at the "stouter" end. The 300 labeled machined (for 300mm on the J/P section) have multiple feature setups with a range of pricing/features. The 410 machine is more "soup to nuts". Felder/Hammer has machines under both brand names and the Felder branded machines clearly are heavier and more full featured. I'm not familiar with the Robland offerings. Being under Martin's wing should breathe some new life to that brand here in the US.
    --

I think SCM has Minimax then several choices in their stuff up to Invincible. Not up on it, just seen some Minimax stuff at auctions then remember one woodwork show where the white stuff had a few levels before Invincible. Combos five function ones used to weight around 1,300 lbs maybe 1,280 or maybe it was a bit more

I think SCM has Minimax then several choices in their stuff up to Invincible. Not up on it, just seen some Minimax stuff at auctions then remember one woodwork show where the white stuff had a few levels before Invincible. Combos five function ones used to weight around 1,300 lbs maybe 1,280 or maybe it was a bit more
    Combos are all under the MiniMax brand name. Even the "small" ones are not super lightweight and the big CU410 units are not going to defy gravity in any way, shape or form.
    --

mini max stuff looks lighter from what ive seen at auctions, it wasnt the new white stuff. ILl look up some weights.

mini max stuff looks lighter from what ive seen at auctions, it wasnt the new white stuff. ILl look up some weights.
    White started in the early 2000s, AFAIK, or slightly before. Anything older will likely be yellow or green. The current brochure doesn't list the weights; just the capacities. The shipping weight for my S315WS slider was over 1500 lbs and my FS350 J/P weighs about 900. So I would expect that the CU300 series would be in the neighborhood of that combination, give or take. with the CU410 series a bit heavier because of the larger J/P capacities, etc.
    --