Thread: Opaque pigmented finishing advice

Opaque pigmented finishing advice

Hey y'all,

My last thread asking about spraying advice was a bit of a ramble. This should be a bit more concise. I ended up placing an order for the am-5008/8008 kit from Homestead. I will be limited to the touch up gun for now but will have the larger gun ready when I am able to get a bigger compressor. Jeff was helpful and waded through a few of my no knowledge emails. I felt kind of bad asking some of the questions not even knowing what "clears" are that he mentioned. I just do not have a grasp on the lingo and basics that come with years of trying and using different finishes. I think I am getting a better idea though, at least to the point of making more cohesive questions. What I want to be able to do is mix my own opaque colors, have the least amount of build up possible while still providing an opaque color and a hard looking finish. I want the cuts in the wood underneath the color to be as sharp as they are off of the router table, as much as possible. It has finally gotten across to me that I should probably stop looking at waterbase finishes until I get a larger compressor. Between my last thread, Homestead and some more reading I started looking around at lacquers, another rabbit hole heh. Would a solvent based lacquer that I can add pigments to accomplish this on the am-5008 mini gun? Small projects, picture frames. Specifically looking at mohawk finishers choice clear satin lacquer and Vivitone pigments. I will be spraying outside and using a respirator so I am not too worried about spraying solvent. I'd ask Jeff at Homestead but frankly I think I need to bone up on my understanding before I go back and ask the guy that seems to have written some play books on finishing about the extreme basics.

Thank you guys. Open to any and all advice/suggestions.

I think you are in for disappointment trying to mix your own opaque colors. You would do better off with a commercial product and thinning it so that it sprays through your gun. If you buy a larger N/N set for the gun you won't have to thin it as much either.

John

I agree. Spraying lacquer is more involved setup/overspray, etc.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Disappointed in the colors themselves? Will pigmented lacquers not be as opaque as I am looking for? or disappointed in spraying lacquer in general? Time/effort is not a problem. Larger N/N is possible and a larger compressor will happen sooner rather than later. Mixing my own paint is not an issue. I only need a few ounces at a time which is why I am trying to buy quarts of primaries or a base+pigment/dye. Quarts will last me till the cows come home. Cost is not an issue for the paint, but before I spend $100-$200 on material i'd like to have a better idea of what will give me the finish I am looking for. Any recommendations for a commercial product? Between acrylic, latex, alkyds, enamel, urethanes and the combinations of those possible I am lost. I have thinned down basic latex with success on samples but I do not know the longevity of the finish with thin latex, which seems to be the biggest problem with over thinning i've read. I do not want my frame finish to fail a couple years down the road on a piece that sold for hundreds to thousands. Thank you guys, still just trying to figure it out.

My point was to buy commercial products rather than trying to make your own. You can create any custom color you want from their standard products, and some will mix custom colors for you. And I would not discount WB products.

Maybe airbrush paints used for models would fit your needs if you only need a few ounces for a project. Here's just one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Colors...age=en_US&th=1

and their larger 16 oz. bottles: https://www.amazon.com/Createx-Color...s%2C187&sr=8-3

John

I gotcha, thank you for dumbing it down for me. I was looking at airbrush paint a while ago but was turned off by it when I tried some flow acrylic that was about $7 an ounce. I know I said price wasn't an issue for paint but there is a limit heh. Needed multiple coats for full color, used up $35 very quickly. The 16oz Createx bottles look much more friendly on the wallet to play around with. Looks like Createx makes a few different lines more geared towards the artistic side of things, going to check them out. Thank you for the links.

Cassius.