Thread: Cabinet face frame width help?

Cabinet face frame width help?

I haven’t built a face frame for cabinet to mount doors on before. What’s the recommended width of face frame? Looks like three-quarter inch material and 1x2? I know offset of the hinge makes a difference and I obviously need to be able to open the door Being so close to the wall.

if I’m going to do 4 door, two uppers and two lowers, do I need to have a piece going down the middle? I really don’t want to.

Did you look to see if there are offset frameless hinges and forget the face frame. I thought blum makes them.. If you want a face frame, 1x2 will be fine on 3/4 stock.

Now we know who has TP
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

you can do that without a face frame
    no reason to put a piece in the middle
    good luck
    Ron

I would not do a center stile, limits access.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Ok it’s not as big an undertaking I thought. Frameless half overlay IS likely what I’ll get. Cup hinges from my research is what I need.

don’t they make them to line up with these pre-drilled olds in melamine? Be nice if they did. Might not though as it could be too far from the front edge.

I think rockler has a jig that’s used for drilling the holes for the mounting plate for the hinge on the inside cabinet. Might also get the jig for the appropriate cup diameter for the cabinet door.

I will have to put a piece of melamine on the floor I think. Would finish it better and prevent dust from coming in under the doors on the floor.

Last edited by Patrick Irish; 11-24-2020 at 9:43 AM.

Like Justin saying 1x2 which no ripping is needed just as it comes off HD rack. Plus the 1x2 will give little rm between the doors and your wall plus the door going to your garage(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Ok it’s not as big an undertaking I thought. Frameless half overlay IS likely what I’ll get. Cup hinges from my research is what I need.

don’t they make them to line up with these pre-drilled olds in melamine? Be nice if they did. Might not though as it could be too far from the front edge.

I think rockler has a jig that’s used for drilling the holes for the mounting plate for the hinge on the inside cabinet. Might also get the jig for the appropriate cup diameter for the cabinet door.

I will have to put a piece of melamine on the floor I think. Would finish it better and prevent dust from coming in under the doors on the floor.

Rockler does sell all kind of jigs, however you can check customer service hardware or 'cabinet parts' and get the hinges for 1/4 the price of Rockler and they come with templates usually to drill the holes. Measure, Drill, install. If it's your first time, test it out on some scrap wood.