Thread: Bent table saw blade...Maybe

Bent table saw blade...Maybe

I have finally gotten around to building an outfeed table for my table saw. While trying to work out the clearance for the blade guard assembly (non-riving knife Jet Cabinet saw), I inadvertently tilted the blade with a zero clearance insert in place. (the tilt was intentional, the forgetting to remove the ZCI was inadvertent ) I didn't go to far, but am concerned I may have slightly bent the blade (full kerf WWII). I put a dial indicator on the saw plate and rotated the blade, it looks like there is a deviation of 0.002-3 in a section. I haven't run a test cut. And I don't know what the spec is for plate flatness. Is this going to be an issue?

Forrest sharpening has straighten a saw plate on their price list as time basis $7 minimum (plus $25 sharpening, $12 shipping)

Questions
    1. Is that enough deviation to cause me issues?
    2. If so is it worth getting straightened, or just demote to more utility uses and get a replacement?

John (owning my errors)

Run a test cut. The kerf may only be a few thousandths wider. If you don't like the cut, send it in. If you send it in to Forest, they'll check it and make it right or they will tell you it can't be saved. For curiosity, check another blade. I'd assume none of them are better than .002

You can call Forest and ask them, but my guess is they will tell you to lay it flat on the table and tap around the circumference to see if there is a noticeable high spot. Years ago I had a faulty SawStop cartridge fire right on start-up. The blade's teeth weren't damaged but I was concerned about it not being flat. They suggested the tap test and if couldn't detect a high spot, to keep on using the blade, which is what I did with no issues.
    Dan

Only trouble with sending it to Forest is the postage. We have a family here that's been in business a long time sharpening
    carbide with top grade equipment. They check every saw on a machined plate. If it needs straightening they flip an egg
    timer , they make no extra charge for the fix....unless the egg timer stops before the saw is again nice and flat. Then there
    is a small charge ....I've forgotten what that is. Check if your town has such a service .

Forrest is way over, as in over rated, and over PRICED. Check Dynamic Saw's web site for pricing. In my last shipment, I sent in a blade that had been dropped (no tooth loss.) Told them about it being bent. When it came back, it was flat and sharp, with no additional charges for flattening the plate. Great people to do business with. Yes, they do know how to sharpen WWII blades. Check out their web site , especially how they sharpen blades. No more Forrest for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Forrest is way over, as in over rated, and over PRICED. Check Dynamic Saw's web site for pricing. In my last shipment, I sent in a blade that had been dropped (no tooth loss.) Told them about it being bent. When it came back, it was flat and sharp, with no additional charges for flattening the plate. Great people to do business with. Yes, they do know how to sharpen WWII blades. Check out their web site , especially how they sharpen blades. No more Forrest for me!
    I feel just the opposite. Sent all my blades to a shop in Chicago when I ran a business. They never came back as good as new, and then they completely ruined a Freud dado set with the chippers all being different diameters. I send everything to Forest now. I feel they are worth every penny.

Blog Entries
    CT saw is very good. That said, .002” doesn’t sound bent to me.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I plan to do a test cut and see how it is working. I was just so focused on figuring out the clearance for the mount for the blade guard...(it's one of the things most plans/guidance on making outfeed tables don't talk about. It would be so much easier with a riving knife based saw. Funny thing is that I very rarely tilt the blade, I would much rather put an angle on with a router table than the table saw.

John