Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for 5" pvc thinwall pipe for dust collection

I'm in the process of designing a duct system for my 2 hp Jet dust collector (older model). I'm using five inch ducting because of the limited power of my collector. I decided to use five inch spiral pipe. It's certainly more expensive than PVC, but probably not more expensive than a special order for five inch PVC drain pipe. It's substantial, and I believe it will be a good solution. I'm not going to run a lot of pipe because my dust collector is not particularly powerful. You only have 1.75 hp, so I suspect you have the same issue. Good luck as you figure out how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kepley View Post
    I'm in the process of designing a duct system for my 2 hp Jet dust collector (older model). I'm using five inch ducting because of the limited power of my collector. I decided to use five inch spiral pipe. It's certainly more expensive than PVC, but probably not more expensive than a special order for five inch PVC drain pipe. It's substantial, and I believe it will be a good solution. I'm not going to run a lot of pipe because my dust collector is not particularly powerful. You only have 1.75 hp, so I suspect you have the same issue. Good luck as you figure out how to proceed.
    I just ordered 6” spiral pipe for my system today from a local supply house. Surprisingly the cost is only $23 for a 10’ piece and $5 a coupler.

Ok, a miracle has happened. Well, not a true miracle but... Just for fun I went back to the irrigation shop that I visited years ago in my quest for 5" pvc, of course they didn't have any thinwall pvc of any size nor did anyone else around here and I live in a heavy ag area. This place (Exeter Irrigation Supply) today indeed had 5" (yes 5") thinwall pvc, bunches of it, and he took me outside to actually look at it as I was a little skeptical. This place is only about two blocks from my house, yes two blocks!! So it does exist folks, and it wasn't any more expensive than the other sizes, in proportion of course. Since my last trip to this place years ago, they were bought out by a big ag unit and significantly increased their stock of all sizes and types of pvc pipe. Not only made my day, but my week and month. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Buy what you need before they sell out and never reorder. Save some money and buy the full length pieces and have a friend help carry them home by foot.
    Bil lD