Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 5" pvc thinwall pipe for dust collection

Looking for 5" pvc thinwall pipe for dust collection

I moving to a new location. Currently I have a 1.75hp Powermatic dust collection system with a cyclone and large Wynn nano filter. I cobbled together 5" metal ductwork using pieces here and there from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It works fine and has for years. When I move, I will have to start all over with all the ductwork. The metal took 5x longer than i thought it would and cost 4x as much as I expected. in an effort to have a smoother interior in my system, as I will have a larger shop and longer runs, I want to use 5" pvc thinwall drainage pipe. This is what I wanted to use years ago when I built my current system but couldn't find any locally..... Anybody in the central Calif San Jaoquin Valley know of a place to buy this stuff? I think 4" is to small and 6" too large. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Probably have to order in 6ft max pieces from here
    https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p...iABEgJFKvD_BwE

My suggestion if you are set on 5" is to contact a local plumbing supply company, (not big box store), and talk to them about ordering some for you. I imagine it would probably be much cheaper and you could possibly get it in longer lengths too. I've seen some as long as 20' instead of the usual 10' or less you see in the box stores.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Try your local Ferguson Supply. In the Central Valley, you might try water well distributors too.

I will almost guarantee you that unless you are in some odd ball area where its a common item procuring 5" and fittings will cost you an obscene amount more than your metal experience and you'd likely be better off jumping to off the shelf 6" for your mains and running 5" where its needed or just sticking with metal.

Been in the construction game for most of my life and when you get into PVC that is not stock, or not able to be branch transferred, you'll get hammered and may even be in unit/case quantities on pipe and fittings.

If I were moving to a new (and somewhat better/more permanent) location and setting up from scratch I'd rip the bandaid off and find a local spiral metal supplier and just put it all in once and for all in spiral and be at the top of the heap. But on budget I'd be running 6".

I'm on my third shop w/ ductwork , and I've never seen 5" thin wall sewer /drain anywhere . I also would think a "special order" will be very expensive . If it can be found that's great , I wish you well . Improving the DC itself to support 6" ducts is the road I'd go down .

I got mine from Ewing Irrigation when I lived in northern CA. They had plenty of stock, but it was 6". I believe they have stores through out the Central Valley.
    Dick Mahany.

Normac would be worth a call. I do not think they have stores that far down. Ferguson would not talk to me as a non contractor. Center state pipe and supply seems to have been bought by Buttes.
    If your heart is set on 5" I think you will have better luck with an electrical supply house. But gray conduit rated pvc costs more. Probably cheaper to go to 6" and buy a bigger DC after you factor in the selling price of the old dc..
    Does rain for rent sell pipe?
    Bil lD

https://www.rainforrent.com/equipment/aluminum-pipe/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-23-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I got mine from Ewing Irrigation when I lived in northern CA. They had plenty of stock, but it was 6". I believe they have stores through out the Central Valley.
    you got 5” schedule 20 from Ewing?

for real ?
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 11-24-2020 at 3:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Probably have to order in 6ft max pieces from here
    https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p...iABEgJFKvD_BwE
    Thanks much. I did see that site in my searches. It is out there. I reached out to a plumber friend and he has given me some sources also. Last time I did this none of the sources I was given panned out for one reason or the other. I know 6" is common and cheaper, just don't know if I can maintain enough flow to keep the stuff from dropping out of the air stream. I know 5" works. I'm starting early this time, have a couple of months before moving.... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I would say 6" horizontal should be fine. If it does drop out and settle on the bottom who cares? My 2hp dc pulls up on 6" vertical off the shaper just fine. I never see it drop any dust down after it shuts off.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would say 6" horizontal should be fine. If it does drop out and settle on the bottom who cares? My 2hp dc pulls up on 6" vertical off the shaper just fine. I never see it drop any dust down after it shuts off.
    Bill D

Interesting, never thought about it that way. I have adapted all my machines to 5" but the new horizontal runs could be 6". Using pvc would make insides smoother, helping keep up air volume. Thanks Bill. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

This reminds me of folks making fancy air ramps inside the base of a cabinet saw to block off dead corners. I say let them fill up with saw dust and get the same effect for less work. Now if the base is not sealed that is a very different story and having dust chutes to help direct flow into the pipe does make sense.
    Bil lD

Bill D
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Interesting, never thought about it that way. I have adapted all my machines to 5" but the new horizontal runs could be 6". Using pvc would make insides smoother, helping keep up air volume. Thanks Bill. Randy
    This reminds me of folks making fancy air ramps inside the base of a cabinet saw to block off dead corners. I say let them fill up with saw dust and get the same effect for less work. Now if the base is not sealed that is a very different story and having dust chutes to help direct flow into the pipe does make sense.
    Bil lD
    I have been thinking the same thing for quite some time. Until recently I didn't have a reason to broach the subject. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    you got 5” schedule 20 from Ewing?

for real ?
    I guess my post wasn't clear, I got my thinwall PVC from Ewing. They only stocked 6" so I used that. 5" would have been special order and crazy expensive.
    Dick Mahany.