Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How's Covid affecting your life lately?

No changes for us really. We're boring and never go anywhere anyway. Had 3 meetings in the last 3 months with the grandkids and great grandkids - all outside wearing masks. But the little ones don't get it and just run up to us for hugs. How can something that good be bad?? Our county had a 37% positivity rate 3 weeks ago, and we are currently at 18%, so we go nowhere. We drive 70 miles to a grocery store that will bring the order out to our car. Small town of 800 souls and the guy across the street got it and was in the hospital. The last warm wave we didn't even open the windows in the front of the house, which faces his place. Work is no big deal since I've worked from home for the last 6 years. Last week I was feeling pretty lousy, with a fever, so my doc wanted me tested and it was negative. So there's an upside, and there haven't been many. When the best thing to happen to you in months is that you don't have a deadly disease, things are pretty fubar.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

We've been shut-ins since 2014, due to good business. Been working 17-7 on average for the past 4 years. Only thing that changed is wearing masks, and to this day, sanitizing virtually everything that comes into this house. My only exposure to the public is drop-offs at the post office, grocery shopping, and the occasional Lowes-Depot runs. The wife visits our 4 immediate neighbors. Since our area went from 150 cases to 4500 cases per day within days we don't trust ANY outside food.

I figured pizza was pretty safe, right up until the last time I picked up and noticed the gal cutting up my pizza had gloves on, but wasn't wearing a mask.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

For those with kids this is a good time to build their thinking skills. School is mostly memorization and sometimes easy multiple choice tests. Remember how a lot of people in your class hated word problems? They were my favorite, a way to relate things to real life. Give your kids word problems that answers can’t be googled or text a friend for the answer. Things to build their self confidence by accomplishing things. It will vary a lot by age but all students should know more about building things, houses, cars, personal finances, insurance, law and health. Not all kids like art but they should learn how to draw simple objects with accuracy. Also draw flow charts to show a thought process involved in figuring out something. The goal is to expose them to many things in hope that a light bulb will light up in their head by 16 and at least before 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Trebuna View Post
    Really appreciate the part about the charitable donations.
    Thanks Todd, I always get charitable donations instead of gifts, this year my family is doing that as well.....Rod

Blog Entries
    Remember how a lot of people in your class hated word problems? They were my favorite, a way to relate things to real life. Give your kids word problems that answers can’t be googled or text a friend for the answer. Things to build their self confidence by accomplishing things.
    Here's one:

If 2020 Was a Math Problem..jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    We've been shut-ins since 2014, due to good business. Been working 17-7 on average for the past 4 years. Only thing that changed is wearing masks, and to this day, sanitizing virtually everything that comes into this house. My only exposure to the public is drop-offs at the post office, grocery shopping, and the occasional Lowes-Depot runs. The wife visits our 4 immediate neighbors. Since our area went from 150 cases to 4500 cases per day within days we don't trust ANY outside food.

I figured pizza was pretty safe, right up until the last time I picked up and noticed the gal cutting up my pizza had gloves on, but wasn't wearing a mask.
    You should treat yourself to that pizza. There is no convincing evidence of transmission by food. Have it delivered, wash your hands, (and wipe down the packaging if you so desire) and nom nom nom.
    I wouldn’t have survived the year without pizza. 

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/newsl...ronavirus.html

I have several nurses and health care workers in the family. Last week, one came down testing positive. Two days of slight fever, coughing, etc. I was taking care of her. Did the masks, gloves, sanitizers etc. I got it anyway. I had a very slight fever for 36 hours. Head aches, a little short of breath, constant tickle down in lungs. I actually have periods where I feel fine and then suddenly break out in a sweat. Relative goes back to work tomorrow and I am quarantined another two days. Considering that I already have interstitial lung disease, I am doing pretty well considering. I have been taking 2,000 units of D3 every day for a couple years now and I am drinking a pint of tonic water a day, the one with quinine. I have also been drinking a lot of mullein tea. The shortness of breath I suffered for years seems to have lessened somewhat since I started the mullein tea. Darn stuff is expensive, but even if the effect is just in my head, I'll take it. My Mrs., a nurse, has had several co-workers come down with it. (about half so far.) I figured she would get it if I had it, but so far, no. I hear horro stories of people getting so sick over night that they cannot breathe on their own, etc.

Hope your recovery is swift Perry.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Andrew,

Hope your wife is fine.............regards, Rod.
    Thanks Rod. 4 days into her quarantine she's still fine.
    - Henry Ford

Been out to eat twice. First time, we were one of two couples in resturant. Second time, daughter and SIL took us out for Mother's / Father's day. Went to a steak house, where everyone was wearing a mask till they sat in booths. Unfortunately, our booth was on the trail to the restrooms. No one on that trail wore a mask. We've done takeout an couple times. Tomorrow for my birthday, wife is taking me for seafood, which we will eat in the car. I long for the days when I can go into a store that DOESN'T have grocery carts out front. Groceries, HD / Lowes, and gas stations are the only places we go. Miss hanging out with our widow / widower friends. Thankfully, last year we got to do several outings together. Still take biscuits to them on first Sunday. Making some pies and cooking some collards tomorrow to distribute to them. Missed State Fair, and the ministry we work with. Missed several friends celebration of life services. No church, or Sunday school, plus Wednesday night meals in fellowship hall. Miss monthly senior covered dish lunches at town hall. But I'm so confident that by this time next year, we will be on the road to recovery, that I bought a turkey and put it in freezer for next year's dinner. Dinner is first Thursday of the month, so in November turkeys aren't on sale that soon. Thirty nine cent a pound turkey tastes a lot better than dollar fifty nine turkey. Am so PROUD of our govenor for taking the necessary steps to slow spread.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-24-2020 at 9:09 AM. Reason: removed political comment

Thanks so much for all your responses. It helps me keep my situation in perspective. Sad to hear 2 creekers have covid.

Good to hear some of you are looking on the bright side and doing well. I'm an introvert as well and ok with social distancing even before covid.
    However, when all this is over I'm going to be hugging people like a maniac! Maybe I'm a closeted extrovert

I'm grateful we can share our experiences and feelings here without getting political.
    - Henry Ford

I was invited to Turkey Dinner at friends house weeks ago, got an email this morning her husband tested Positive so dinner is canceled.I haven't been out to eat in months. Done take out a couple times and a couple times drive thru.My volunteer work with the PGR has changed a lot and slowed down too. I couldn't go home this summer because of it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I am pretty burnt out. I am nerdy enough that I have pretty much social distanced for a couple decades now, I would rather be out in my shop figuring something out rather than "hanging out" on a couch somewhere.

I do miss going to church, and going out for tacos with my wife after church. A lot. As crew chief for my church's youth BBQ team we did serve close to 300 plates this summer, 150 plates at each of two church picnics. The team was masked and six feet in the pit area well away from the crowd. I think (haven't been since March) about half of my church is showing up, unmasked, for services every week. They livestream on youtube and the cameras are kinda close to the front, I can't see how crowded the sanctuary is behind the cameras.

I am getting antsy about teaching and training new youth to join the team. I have two on the team now who will be starting college in Sep 2021 and plenty of kids who are "old enough to join." I hate to say no to them. I can't realistically run in person classes until I have been vaccinated; but I need at least two, four would be better new members on the team in April 2021 so I can get them up to speed to contribute to the May 2021 picnic and be independent by May 2022. With my job I will likely get the vaccine in the first major wave ( I am a practicing RN), but I would still have to have the new kids over one on one and outdoors so they don't get into my wife's bubble. Very time consuming.

I readily recognize many people are starting to feel the need to socialize outweighs the need to beat the pandemic. It is not that the folks making interstate trips for Thanksgiving are ignorant or apathetic, they just care more about socializing. I expect my local hospital will run out of beds just before Christmas. I have done my best.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    However, when all this is over I'm going to be hugging people like a maniac!
    Be wary. Unless something is done about the eating of monkey meat, or about our collective attitudes towards behavior during an epidemic, it’s going to happen again. Let’s not cull the herd.

Wife and I both recently had it (we went back work late last week after two weeks off each). We have no idea where we got it. She was showing symptoms first, but none of her co-workers have had it. I work in a much busier building, but not with the public, so I’m around the same people every day, and none of them have had it. Church is a possibility, but we were the first to get it (one of our home groups later was exposed, and a few may have it now). We have been going out to eat regularly, including a week before our first symptoms, but the couple we went out with that time never got it (a six-brewery day, a few counties away). The last stop looked a bit crowded to me.

Anyway, the worst of it for me was about 5 days of a low fever, along with head- and body-aches, chills, sweats, a little nasal and chest congestion/cough. I could take ibuprofen and feel great because it knocked out the fever, but I wanted the fever to do its job. I slept a LOT more, and am still a little low on energy. Wife was similar—both of us felt like we had a mild flu.

At first, we were getting takeout at least once a week from the local restaurants we liked, to support them. Once the lockdowns were lifted in May, we started going out to eat again, but probably not as frequently, and still mainly locally-owned joints.

I’m now looking into donating plasma so that it can potentially help the seriously ill.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore