Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How's Covid affecting your life lately?

Our plans remain largely unchanged. Parents on both sides watch the kids couple times a week when the wife works, so celebrating thanksgiving dinner with both sides. My wife is a social butterfly, I wouldn’t care if my social wings were clipped, stomped and burned. So silver lining for me is all of this has tremendously slowed down all the social gatherings we “just have to “ go to 😃

My wife is an extrovert so this has been more difficult for her than for me. The one thing she did not give up is her Sunday school class. It met all summer and continues to meet in our side yard. When it was hot the chairs were placed in a wide spaced circle under two large specimen trees that eventually became known as the Bradford Pear Sanctuary. Still meeting but in the sun. Some neighbors have begun coming.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    I have several nurses and health care workers in the family. Last week, one came down testing positive. Two days of slight fever, coughing, etc. I was taking care of her. Did the masks, gloves, sanitizers etc. I got it anyway. I had a very slight fever for 36 hours. Head aches, a little short of breath, constant tickle down in lungs. I actually have periods where I feel fine and then suddenly break out in a sweat. Relative goes back to work tomorrow and I am quarantined another two days. Considering that I already have interstitial lung disease, I am doing pretty well considering. I have been taking 2,000 units of D3 every day for a couple years now and I am drinking a pint of tonic water a day, the one with quinine. I have also been drinking a lot of mullein tea. The shortness of breath I suffered for years seems to have lessened somewhat since I started the mullein tea. Darn stuff is expensive, but even if the effect is just in my head, I'll take it. My Mrs., a nurse, has had several co-workers come down with it. (about half so far.) I figured she would get it if I had it, but so far, no. I hear horro stories of people getting so sick over night that they cannot breathe on their own, etc.
    I can't say it's been terrible for me. I haven't had any fever since yesterday. They told me that 72 hours past the last fever I'm clear. I've had to make myself drink plenty of water. Today while I still have some muscle aches I'm mostly feeling pretty good. So far the wife hasn't gotten it which is good.

I'm off a 10 day quarantine tomorrow following a positive test. Mild symptoms for both my bride and I. Never even had a fever. We were blessed.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

At deer camp right now and I'll be cutting the hunt short to do a pre quarantine to my post test quarantine. I'm scheduled for a surgery on my left thumb on Dec.4. Test is on Nov. 30 and quarantine for 4 days after that, but some guys in camp are doing Thanksgiving with people from out of town and out of state so I'm done hunting sometime on Thursday.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I'm not a man of faith but I pray that nobody here will be the last person to die of covid before the vaccine rolls out in force.

we are gonna be good folks, hold the line...dig in just that bit longer

no matter what life throws our way, the universe always tends to unfold as it should
    You did what !

David, nice to hear from you and see you posting. Best, Patrick

I have done almost nothing social since early March. I'm not a social butterfly, but I miss seeing some of my friends at least once a month. No Thanksgiving dinner and probably no Christmas either. I'm working on a major electrical project and there is a shortage of certain electrical supplies so I've been to Menards, Home Depot, or both almost every day for the past six weeks buying parts. Luckily, my project is nearly over so I have minimal need to buy stuff anymore.

I went on a week long motorhome trip with four friends in late September. We all took a risk doing the trip, but nobody got sick. I almost certainly would not go now with the explosion in COVID cases. One friend is in the hospital now with COVID, but it certainly isn't from a trip almost two months ago.

I think I may have had COVID back in January before it became a thing, but I haven't wanted to spend $59 on a COVID antibody test to find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Kids suffering in ways they don't appreciate and I can't control.
    It's been very hard as a parent.
    As a man, it's been doubly hard because nobody wants to hear my fears or concerns (unless i pay them).
    As men get older, nobody really wants to be their friends any more, so it's hard to have anyone to talk to about things without hearing "too heavy" in their silence.
    Sorry to hear you’re having a rough time Prashun. As a dad of young kids it is hardest to see them be affected, but don’t underestimate their resilience. Do your best with them, build your bond and make sure they know they can reply on you and hopefully you’ll come out on the other side of this better for it. That’s been my philosophy.

I have a number of guy friends but not a best friend whom I share things with, but I understand what you’re saying. And if the guys you’ve opened up to don’t listen or try to help they aren’t the friends you thought they were. When this Covid thing is over joint a club, pick up an old or new sport, etc and meet some new people.

Best of luck

I agree with Matt, Prashun. I'll also add that many folks are facing the challenge with the kiddos by turning it into opportunities to do things differently. It's a balancing act for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a man, it's been doubly hard because nobody wants to hear my fears or concerns (unless i pay them).
    As men get older, nobody really wants to be their friends any more, so it's hard to have anyone to talk to about things without hearing "too heavy" in their silence.
    Prashun, I'd love to hear your fears and concerns. That's what this thread is about. I feel like I know you from your work and comments here. I have tremendous respect for you.

For me this thread helps me get my thoughts and fears in perspective. I feel a bit like I'm sitting around a pot belly stove shooting the breeze with my woodworking buddies.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Hey brother, I’d hear them for free. Blessings to you and yours. My kid is grown and gone and I’m really missing her. She’s fretting that her parents are now COVID statistics. You are fortunate to have yours home.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    ...We've let everyone know that in lieu of gifts we want charitable donations, there are a lot of people suffering this year....
    Thank you Rod for a great idea. I've just asked everyone to donate to their local foodbank instead of buying me something. A lot more good will come from that.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Thank you Rod for a great idea. I've just asked everyone to donate to their local foodbank instead of buying me something. A lot more good will come from that.
    Thanks David, I personally don't accept Christmas gifts however this year my family isn't either. Normally the gifts i receive are Christmas dinners for 365 people at a local mission.

We've been very fortunate, Diann is retired, I'm working from home and my oldest daughter is working from her home.

The only outlier is my youngest daughter who is an ER nurse in the group that deals with the Covid patients. She's the one I constantly worry about.

As I watched this pandemic unfold we realised how fortunate we were, I was getting paid to work from home and gained about 12 hours a week of woodworking time by not commuting, a lot of people were far worse off. I'm now a supporter of some sort of basic or universal income.........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    We've been shut-ins since 2014, due to good business. Been working 17-7 on average for the past 4 years. Only thing that changed is wearing masks, and to this day, sanitizing virtually everything that comes into this house. My only exposure to the public is drop-offs at the post office, grocery shopping, and the occasional Lowes-Depot runs. The wife visits our 4 immediate neighbors. Since our area went from 150 cases to 4500 cases per day within days we don't trust ANY outside food.

I figured pizza was pretty safe, right up until the last time I picked up and noticed the gal cutting up my pizza had gloves on, but wasn't wearing a mask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    You should treat yourself to that pizza. There is no convincing evidence of transmission by food. Have it delivered, wash your hands, (and wipe down the packaging if you so desire) and nom nom nom.
    I wouldn’t have survived the year without pizza. 

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/newsl...ronavirus.html
    (from the link above) In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from food products or packaging.
    You're welcome to eat all the un-masked breathed-on pizza you want. "In general" and "likely" aren't anywhere NEAR "absolute" enough for me. How many posts in this thread, and on the local and national news lately, have I heard/read the phrase "...have NO idea where I got it..." ... In general, while not highly likely, it COULD be you got it from some fast food.

Sorry if I take this godforsaken virus VERY seriously...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle