Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How's Covid affecting your life lately?

How's Covid affecting your life lately?

My wife and all the people who work in her office got tested for covid. The results came in after 4 days and one person tested positive. My wife is negative but the health department told her to quarantine for 14 days.
    The good news is her office is very strict on masking and 6' distance rules so it's very unlikely she'll get sick. The hard part is for her to stay home and isolate. She's a very busy person.

I'm called a "contact of a contact" so no changes for me outside the home. In the house I'm wearing a mask unless I'm in my man cave.

I hope all you creekers are staying healthy.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Last week we went to a Costco a little further from us because of the lower infection rate in one area versus the other.

We haven't been as care free about running into town. We are less likely to just pop into the Home Depot to look around at the garden section and such.

We won't have anyone over for Thanksgiving this year.

In our age group and preexisting conditions we don't want to take any chances.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No real changes in our household...I do the food shopping and we make minimal other trips out. We order takeout one night a week to support various local restaurants. Professor Dr. SMWBO teaches online and our younger daughter's classes at Penn State Abington are all on line and have been for almost a year now. She does work in a retail store, but takes great care. We have a "bubble" between our home and her boyfriend's home. They don't socialized with other people except virtually. Older daughter lives in town and works part time in a food market as a florist. She's also very careful, not just for herself, but because she's here a couple days a week for meals and to clean which is part of the deal of to live independently with me providing some financial support. her apartment building is actually pretty strict since they have a large elderly population. Minimal visitors here and they must wear masks.

Honestly, I don't mind things as they are right now outside of not being able to socialize with a few close friends like we normally do, especially this time of year. We don't covet retail and didn't even before the pandemic.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I didn't realize how anti-Social I've become until someone had to tell me there was a lock down (two months prior).

This generation of school kids is ideally suited to online instruction. The teaching staff, not so much.

A recent scare saw us waiting 3 hours to get a 90 second test.
    (All negative results.)

This has put us on alert to avoid people not taking precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I didn't realize how anti-Social I've become until someone had to tell me there was a lock down (two months prior).
    Or, as I call it, about like normal.
    Introvert.jpg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Nothing has changed here, because we haven’t seen family since February and have been staying to ourselves. Going to miss seeing my parents and in laws for thanksgiving and Christmas. Still masking up everywhere and keeping our distance. No traveling, no sports for me or the kids. Luckily our kids are still young but it just be tough having a preteen or teenager.

My wife works in the sports department so being family we’re lucky enough to get tickets to home college football games, and basketball is starting in a week and a half. Thank god for college basketball! It’s fun for me and the kids, and man is it weird going to a stadium with almost nobody there!

As someone with 10 percent word comprehension I’m liking the lack of stress of gatherings. Thanksgiving without crowds of folks talking over each other is going to be pretty nice. Every cloud eh?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

We are being very careful, no visitors except at least 10 ft away in the driveway. Usually a breeze here so I’m careful not to stand downwind of anyone. We even quit petting neighbors dogs. Wife goes grocery shopping before 9am. We have always eaten out 4 nights a week since retiring and now get takeout. We use my cherry serving tray as a table in the truck. We take our drinks too. We park on the side of a river sometimes to eat. We don’t do patio dining either. We live in a sociable neighborhood but had to end most all of that for now. We have been on several trips but only stay in private rentals. We go in with masks, open windows, run the A/C and wipe everything down. We take our ebikes with us and have a lot of fun riding paved trails, grass greenways, old rail lines turned into trails and parks. We do our own yard work and vehicle maintenance too. Her family is coming down to an oceanfront rental soon so we can visit outdoors and ride bikes on the beach. Mainly just worried about both families since they most all work.

I am not joking when I say that I am more afraid of my wife than the virus. I’ve had to give up volunteering at the dental clinic but can contribute by doing telephone triage. my wonderful wife is medically very vulnerable and her 97 year old mother lives with us too. I’m the only one going out as little as possible so if they get it I brought it. Thank goodness a vaccine is on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    This generation of school kids is ideally suited to online instruction. The teaching staff, not so much.
    I can tell you from personal experience that kids, elementary students here, are not ideally suited to learn online. There is very little actual instruction. Showing your work during a zoom takes 5 minutes versus 30 seconds of the teacher walking around the class seeing what the kids are doing. It is extremely frustrating for all involved. Kids don’t want to sit in front of a computer all day and it’s not good for them. My kids learned next to nothing in their 9 weeks of virtual learning.

College maybe but not high school either. HS’ers are focused on getting into college, and need all those AP classes (which not all are available virtually) and extracurricular activities which they can’t get virtually.

I agree with you however, that most teachers are not suited for this.

I tested positive for Covid on the 20th. The test was the rapid one with results in an hour. I am quarantined until the 29th. Mostly doing okay First night was the worst. Restless and going between fever and no fever all night. Last night was better. I've figured out when I start feeling poorly if I go lay down and take a nap that it does wonders for me. The health department is telling me that I'm already on the down hill side because once the fever starts coming and going that the worst is over. No idea where I was exposed. We used caution and tried to do all the right things including a mask and social distancing. So far the wife hasn't developed symptoms.

Oh, I hope your family stays healthy.

I miss working with kids at the church (we have virtual services) and having lots of farm visitors. I miss in-person woodturning club meetings. Besides that, there's always plenty to do and easy to stay away from people here on the farm. We order groceries which are loaded in our vehicles so we rarely go into a store. When I have to go out for animal feed or vehicle parts or to see a doctor I've been known to wear two masks and a lightweight eye shield, the type my dentist has used for years.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I tested positive for Covid on the 20th. The test was the rapid one with results in an hour. I am quarantined until the 29th. Mostly doing okay First night was the worst. Restless and going between fever and no fever all night. Last night was better. I've figured out when I start feeling poorly if I go lay down and take a nap that it does wonders for me. The health department is telling me that I'm already on the down hill side because once the fever starts coming and going that the worst is over. No idea where I was exposed. We used caution and tried to do all the right things including a mask and social distancing. So far the wife hasn't developed symptoms.
    Sorry to hear that Ronald. I hope you heal fast and your wife stays healthy.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Hoping for the best! It sure gets scary when people get it without knowing how.

I'm tired of forgetting my mask and having to walk back to the car. Tired of "Doc Fauci" ...a most unfunny comedian who
    takes up time the lovely lady Doc deserves. Any one here using their old "fall out shelter" to confine the contagious?
    Check the canned food expiration dates.