Thread: Inlayed Spice Box

Inlayed Spice Box

Just got done with this one. Sixth different spice box I have made. One for each kid and of course my wife. Walnut case and drawer faces. Cedar drawers with three hidden compartments. Inlay is mahogany and spalted maple with cherry circle:

20201121_100308.jpg

Sorry, I am terrible with attachments!

Really nice job. I’ve alway wanted to make one, but have no place for it in my home. Maybe use it to hold nails and screws in the shop?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I love that stuff ! Beautiful ! Great luxury to own one. Like the grain in the drawer fronts.
    I do think it would benefit from a simpler moulding around the top, with dark wood it's hard to get all the pieces to show.

Looks Great...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Beautiful job!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful work, Christopher. Love the choice of woods. Just curious, did you do them one at a time or did you go into some production mode?

I have made each of the six one at a time. They are all different but most are walnut with two cherry. I have posted the last one or two here in the past.

By the way, the top molding is one of a kind. Got crazy with a bunch of router bits one day. Glad I had enough for the project, don't think I could easily figure it out again.

Appreciate the kind words!

Chris

One other note on the top molding. It needed to be that size to hide the hidden compartment at the top. It is not pictured but there is a wooden lock on the bottom that releases the back to slide down. That is how that top hidden compartment is accessed.

Got it ! Thanks for explanation.

Chris it is nice to see it finished. Great work and a classic piece. Really like the inlay design. Excellent work. Maybe there should be a group photo of all six. Stay safe and well.

Regards Randy