Thread: Help with finish over Waterlox....

Help with finish over Waterlox....

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue. I have a shed/office I built in my backyard where I used a shou sugi ban method to burn and stain the cladding. I bought Waterlox Marine which is a two part process, first the sealant, and then the finish. I have already applied two coats of the Sealant and I really like the way it looks. However, when I went to apply the finish, it was too amber and turned my wood a yellow I didn't like.

So I'm stuck in the middle of the process. I'm absolutely not going to use the finish, so does anyone know of some other kind of finish that I could put over the waterlox to complete the process? I'm hoping to find something that still lets the unique 'look' of the waterlox sealant- very clear and shiny - still come through. I did some research on the internet and decided to buy Epifanes Rapidclear. I've already applied it to one side but it has that urethane type look that took away some of the clear plastic look of the waterlox. So... does anyone have any suggestions? Essentially I'm looking for something crystal clear with no amber that will hold up to the elements. I'm in Georgia. Thanks for any help! -James

IMG_1480.jpg

Most oil based finishes are going to exhibit some level of warming (amber) because...of the oil. If you want water clear, you'll need to switch to a waterborne finish. The existing Waterlox sealer must be fully cured first. But in your case you also need something that's made for exterior use...some folks have said in the past that deep tint base exterior paint is clear. I suggest you have a conversation with someone at a "real" paint store, such as Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc., to see what their advice is.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Waterlox Marine is a two part process??? I've never heard this before. The sealer is an interior product...

I've used gallons and gallons of the Marine varnish it is a complete finish no sealer needed. It is dark amber because it is a phenolic resin varnish.

Go to a real paint store and get their "Deep base" exterior paint (oil based or waterborne) Tell them you want the base they use for dark brown or black. It dries clear. Waterborne will impart less color.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.