Thread: Crushgrind mechanism worn out

Crushgrind mechanism worn out

Made a set of salt and pepper grinders for a friend several years ago. The pepper grinder mechanism has significantly worn down. Has anyone ever replaced a Crushgrind mechanism? My first inclination is to remount it and try to use a parting tool to separate it. Any suggestions?

20F107C7-3826-4B1D-8A1F-AB27F38880A7.jpg
    Donna

Not a turner....or transmission repair guy. I'm wondering if you could grind off a rivet, and replace the works while
    leaving the "case" and adding new rivet or screw.

Donna - I have been using Crushgrind mechanisms for years. Never had one returned because it was "significantly worn down." The grinding mechanism components are made of ceramic. It's highly unlikely that peppercorn grinding damaged the ceramic grinding mechanism. Peppercorns are softer than ceramic.

The ceramic grinding components can be replaced without removing the entire mechanism from the peppermill body. Remove the gray grind adjustment knob. Remove the ceramic grinding cone. Remove the white retaining ring from the ceramic grinding component housing. Remove the circular ceramic grinding component. This is the companion component to the ceramic grinding cone. Replace all worn components and reassemble. No need to remove and replace the entire housing.

If you are making a lot of pepper mills, I highly recommend Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills by Chris West.

Good luck with the repair. - John

PS - The ceramic components of the Crushgrind mechanism carry a 25 year warranty. - J
    Last edited by John King; 11-22-2020 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Ashby View Post
    Made a set of salt and pepper grinders for a friend several years ago. The pepper grinder mechanism has significantly worn down. Has anyone ever replaced a Crushgrind mechanism? My first inclination is to remount it and try to use a parting tool to separate it. Any suggestions?
    I replaced one a few years ago on a salt grinder. I don't remember now what went wrong but that it just quit grinding as well as it used to. Note there have been several variations on the mechanisms - the first thing I tried was replacing the easily removable parts with those from a new kit - they didn't fit. I ended up removing the entire mechanism and putting in a new one. I didn't have to cut any wood - I was able to loosen it with something inserted from the top) but the method might depend on how it was put together - I had used epoxy in grooves to reinforce the plastic tabs/hooks. Sorry, I don't remember the details. I may have made a special tool.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I replaced one a few years ago on a salt grinder. I don't remember now what went wrong but that it just quit grinding as well as it used to. Note there have been several variations on the mechanisms - the first thing I tried was replacing the easily removable parts with those from a new kit - they didn't fit. I ended up removing the entire mechanism and putting in a new one. I didn't have to cut any wood - I was able to loosen it with something inserted from the top) but the method might depend on how it was put together - I had used epoxy in grooves to reinforce the plastic tabs/hooks. Sorry, I don't remember the details. I may have made a special tool.
    Website says original CrushGrind@ ceramic mechanism was introduced to the marketplace in 1994. No indication of any design changes or variations since 1994. So, replacing "significantly worn down" parts with parts from a new grinding mechanism should work. All assumes you are dealing with a genuine CrushGrind@ mechanism and not a knockoff. - John

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Website says original CrushGrind@ ceramic mechanism was introduced to the marketplace in 1994. No indication of any design changes or variations since 1994. So, replacing "significantly worn down" parts with parts from a new grinding mechanism should work. All assumes you are dealing with a genuine CrushGrind@ mechanism and not a knockoff. - John
    I thought the same thing. I ordered multiple genuine crush grind mechanisms from one of the reputable woodworking suppliers, some years apart. There may not be indications on their website of a design change but I can avow the parts were I had not interchangeable, or at least I couldn't make the new parts work on the old mechanism. I compared two just now and both have the Crushgrind registered trademark on the grey knob but there are subtle visual differences, especially on the pattern of the grinding surfaces of the removable ceramic center = almost like they were made from different molds.

JKJ

Thanks for the ideas. I don’t have the grinder in hand yet, COVID has delayed things a bit. I do have one spare mechanism that was purchased at the same time as the original so that should help. I’ll report back in with my final solution. 😁
    Donna

if you epoxied it on then i would try a heat gun to soften the epoxy and push or pry it out

Removal and repair of grinding mechanism and/or stopper just another reason NOT to use adhesive (epoxy and similar) when assembling the mill. Press fit of the grinding mechanism and stopper into the mill body and cap, respectively, so that the spring locking tabs on the grinding mechanism and the stopper engage appropriately placed grooves in the mill body and the mill cap all that is required for secure assembly. - John
    Last edited by John King; 12-09-2020 at 5:20 PM.