Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Advice to Make this Castle Joint

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    186

    Advice to Make this Castle Joint

    I have some free 4x4 PT lumber and I want to make some work benches. I have metal clad tops. The parts connecting the legs will be 2 lams of 3/4 plywood. I have 6 legs to cut. I have a 6 foot and 8 foot top but not to be my primary woodwoorking bench.

    I have a Bosch jobsite saw, Bosch plunge router, a Dewalt midsize router, a worm drive 7-1/4 saw, multi-tool, chisels etc. My hand saws are a little lame but might be a good way to go?

    My first thought is after planing to clamp several together at a time with common cuts using a guide and worm drive saw accross the top, then clean out with multi-tool from the sides and finish with chisels?

    Running these 3 foot posts sticking up seems sketchy without a big fixture.

    Thoughts for best way for ME to do this?


    castle joint.png

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Western Nebraska
    Posts
    3,985
    I'd just cut those on a bandsaw close to the line and clean up with a chisel, or use a dado stack if you must cut that joint. That being said, I strongly recommend you just go buy some better wood and use a mortise and tenon joint instead. PT anything is garbage for jobs like this and you should handle it carefully because of the treatment and that joint has very little racking strength. Not something you want to deal with on your workbench.

  3. #3
    You will get a sturdier bench with butt joints and big bolts or lag screws, plus it will come apart when you want it to.

    Like Steve said, save the fancy joinery for better wood.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'd just cut those on a bandsaw close to the line and clean up with a chisel, or use a dado stack if you must cut that joint. That being said, I strongly recommend you just go buy some better wood and use a mortise and tenon joint instead. PT anything is garbage for jobs like this and you should handle it carefully because of the treatment and that joint has very little racking strength. Not something you want to deal with on your workbench.
    No bandsaw avaialable unfortunately.

    I get your point on racking but I have a pretty robust shelf that should help a lot and this bech will have more pounding than pulling on it. I'll look at redesigning the joint.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,859
    John, I’m primarily non-power tool, so take that into consideration. I’d probably go get a new hardened steel saw from the big box store and use that. Clean up with chisels.

    BBD899E9-D165-4AC5-8EA9-A4B44372424F.jpeg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 11-22-2020 at 10:51 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    55,578
    That's a pretty straightforward joinery solution, especially because you can "gang" the rails in pairs to notch them. The posts are a little more work, but also easily done with "repetitive motion" I agree with Steve to use a bandsaw with a fence to make the defining cuts on the square leg stock. You could, if you want to, define the bottom with a forstner bit at the DP first which will reduce the work in removing the waste to just a little work with a very sharp chisel.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    John, Im primarily non-power tool, so take that into consideration. Id probably go get a new hardened steel saw from the big box store and use that. Clean up with chisels.

    BBD899E9-D165-4AC5-8EA9-A4B44372424F.jpeg
    Any particular type or brand?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,859
    No, Stanley, DeWalt, they are all about the same. I think they sell them in 15 and 20...Id go with the longer one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a pretty straightforward joinery solution, especially because you can "gang" the rails in pairs to notch them. The posts are a little more work, but also easily done with "repetitive motion" I agree with Steve to use a bandsaw with a fence to make the defining cuts on the square leg stock. You could, if you want to, define the bottom with a forstner bit at the DP first which will reduce the work in removing the waste to just a little work with a very sharp chisel.
    No bandsaw available. So far it's either hand saw (vs a bandsaw) or redesign the joint. I should have made it clear the posts were my question and it's a 3" deep cut as currently designed

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    55,578
    A Japanese style hand saw set for ripping would eat those cuts up pretty quickly and accurately, too.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    No, Stanley, DeWalt, they are all about the same. I think they sell them in 15 and 20...Id go with the longer one.
    Thank you Phil

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    McKean, PA
    Posts
    13,183
    Lee Schierer
    Captain USNR(Ret)

    My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,509
    Beware the unsupported end grain exposed at the tips of the green and orange rails in your design.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •