Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneway 1640 or Robust Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Walsh View Post
    I understand both Oneway and Robust are very fine lathes and the reviews on both seem to verify it. It would seem to me you're paying the higher price on the Robust because of the seven year warranty. I considered selling my Nova lathe and buying the Robust Scout but it would be hard for me to give up the rotating head stock which neither the Robust or Oneway offer. The rotating head keeps these old bones from bending over and hollowing bowls and I'm not sure why Robust and Oneway don't offer this feature on their lathes?
    The NOVA uses an innovative motor/drive system that lends itself to that rotation feature because it's direct drive. It's unique. Most other machines use a 3 phase motor that's still driving a pulley/belt to turn the spindle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The NOVA uses an innovative motor/drive system that lends itself to that rotation feature because it's direct drive. It's unique. Most other machines use a 3 phase motor that's still driving a pulley/belt to turn the spindle.
    I have yet to turn on a NOVA where I liked the programming on the motor. I like the lathe to turn on when I push the button. I hate the soft start and ramp up.

Richard, my Stubby 750...which is a normal 3 phase motor with a VFD...has the soft start programmed. It's actually a really good thing if you have something hefty mounted. Less pleasing with small stuff, however.
    --

Good point, Jim. However you might remember Jet offered the 1640 with a rotating headstock a couple of years ago and it was belt driven. Jet offers one now that has a rotating head with a Reeves drive. Also Nova offers an upgrade DVR motor to the 1624 and it too is belt driven. Perhaps I'm missing something but why would a lathe with drive belts restrict it from having a rotating head?
    Last edited by Harold Walsh; 11-22-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Richard, my Stubby 750...which is a normal 3 phase motor with a VFD...has the soft start programmed. It's actually a really good thing if you have something hefty mounted. Less pleasing with small stuff, however.
    Been turning 35 years Jim, I like on to be on. Not please wait a bit! I'm also sharp enough to know to turn down the potentiometer when I have a 22" blank on my Oneway 2436

I haven't looked lately, but in the past when I've seen them, outboard and rotating head turning setups seemed to have a jury-rig quality about them, lacking the stability of the standard setup for holding the toolrest. It's to be hoped they have improved. The sliding head on my AB lets me go from a long bed to a short bed lathe in about 10 seconds using the same banjo and tool rests as usual with everything in the orientation I'm used to. So far alignment has stayed spot on through many moves of the headstock. I don't turn truly massive things, so the 25" swing has been enough so far. I'm awfully happy with the sliding head, having spent past years hunched over the lathe bed.

Never turned on a Robust but have had my Oneway since 1997 the only thing I've had to replace is the revolving tailstock center and they did an exchange for me. I turn just about daily and for my use I just don't see how I could have a lathe that suites me better.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I'll ask the question again, why slide the headstock to the opposite end of the lathe bed to provide a more comfortable turning position when you can just use the opposing end of the headstock with an added extension table as with the Oneway? The answer with respect to the Robust is that you can't because the motor is in the way. I think it's a far better design to have a stationary headstock. It offers a greater chance of stability and alignment. I think it was Stuart Batty that complained about sliding headstocks and the irritating vibration they can sometimes produce when the headstock is not firmly held in place. A complaint I have with most of the currently produced woodturning lathes except Vicmarc is the platform being fabricated steel instead of cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Been turning 35 years Jim, I like on to be on. Not please wait a bit! I'm also sharp enough to know to turn down the potentiometer when I have a 22" blank on my Oneway 2436
    'Wasn't being critical...just pointing out that the soft start thing isn't unique to the Nova.
    --

The biggest difference to me with the sliding headstock and the fixed headstock is how you stand when you turn bowls. With a long bed lathe set up, you either have to bend over, or extend your arms out away from your body to turn bowls, and this applies more to turning the inside of the bowl than the outside. This can take a toll on your back by the end of the day. I also find I don't have a good of tool control if I am extending my arms out away from my body, which is the method that Stuart Batty uses. I could get used to it, but it is far more comfortable to slide the headstock down and turn off the end of your lathe. I guess 'more ergonomically correct' would be another way of saying it. You can turn outboard on the fixed headstock lathes which is the same thing. I think some of the long bed lathes had this as an after thought rather than an actual design concept, but I believe that has changed a bit. There were problems with things unwinding as you turned or having to turn backwards/in reverse.

As for the Vicmark lathes, I got the 240, which is the one with the pivoting headstock. I prefer it for bowl turning now. They are the only ones who do the pivoting headstock correctly. It is on a massive plate. You pull a pin and swing it to 30 degrees and replace the pin. To move it back, pull the pin, and move it back and replace the pin. It goes back to perfect alignment every single time without having to check to make sure it is lined up. You can use the standard banjo for turning in the pivoted position. Another thing I like about the Vicmark is that they have 3 speed pulleys, which is what I have on my AB, which was one of the first ones Brent put out. What that does for me as a bowl turner is I prefer the mid speed range. Low speed has plenty of torque for coring bowls, but is too slow for most of my smaller bowls. High speed range has the speed, but not the torque needed some times for coring. The mid speed pulley is just right, plenty of torque and plenty of speed.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 11-23-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I think it's a far better design to have a stationary headstock. It offers a greater chance of stability and alignment.
    Having turned on both Oneway and Robust I've seen zero difference in stability and alignment (and I do move the headstock, frequently). I think almost any turner will be extremely happy with either one. Never seen a Vicmarc in person, but I'm willing to believe the same is true for them. (love their chucks!)

I enjoy being able to move the headstock to a position where the lathe legs aren't in the way; I found that to be an issue on the Oneway I used, I kept running into a leg where I wanted to put my foot while working on small things.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    With a long bed lathe set up <with a fixed headstock>, you either have to bend over, or extend your arms out away from your body to turn <the inside of> bowls
    There is an alternative.

Stand on the backside of the lathe!

(helpful to have the controls on a movable pendant)

My context: I own a 3HP AB and have spend a week turning on a Vicmarc 300 but have never touched a Oneway. Between the Oneway 1640 and Sweet 16, I'd go with the Oneway because it's heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    The biggest difference to me with the sliding headstock and the fixed headstock is how you stand when you turn bowls. With a long bed lathe set up, you either have to bend over, or extend your arms out away from your body to turn bowls, and this applies more to turning the inside of the bowl than the outside. This can take a toll on your back by the end of the day. I also find I don't have a good of tool control if I am extending my arms out away from my body, which is the method that Stuart Batty uses. I could get used to it, but it is far more comfortable to slide the headstock down and turn off the end of your lathe. I guess 'more ergonomically correct' would be another way of saying it. You can turn outboard on the fixed headstock lathes which is the same thing. I think some of the long bed lathes had this as an after thought rather than an actual design concept, but I believe that has changed a bit. There were problems with things unwinding as you turned or having to turn backwards/in reverse.

As for the Vicmark lathes, I got the 240, which is the one with the pivoting headstock. I prefer it for bowl turning now. They are the only ones who do the pivoting headstock correctly. It is on a massive plate. You pull a pin and swing it to 30 degrees and replace the pin. To move it back, pull the pin, and move it back and replace the pin. It goes back to perfect alignment every single time without having to check to make sure it is lined up. You can use the standard banjo for turning in the pivoted position. Another thing I like about the Vicmark is that they have 3 speed pulleys, which is what I have on my AB, which was one of the first ones Brent put out. What that does for me as a bowl turner is I prefer the mid speed range. Low speed has plenty of torque for coring bowls, but is too slow for most of my smaller bowls. High speed range has the speed, but not the torque needed some times for coring. The mid speed pulley is just right, plenty of torque and plenty of speed.

robo hippy
    Reed,
    Please tell us more about your Vicmarc 240.

Well, first, the argument about sliding headstocks being more prone to vibration. Stuart Batty, Mike Mahoney, and a few others comment on this. They all turn on the Vicmark lathes. With some of the first sliding headstock lathes out there, they had the same pressure plate on them that they used on the banjo, which is a terrible idea. On my AB, the pressure plate is the full length of the headstock. As near as I can tell, this is a very firm mount if you use some pressure to lock it down. With my 3520A, they had a 4 by 5 inch plate. It seemed adequate for the job. There is more vibration from the AB than there was from my old 3520A, not a lot, but noticeable. Since getting the Vic 240, I notice there is less vibration with it than there is with my AB. Oh, on the AB, when the tailstock is engaged, there are no vibration issues at all. I haven't had a chance to compare how my turning style will work on a big Oneway. When turning bowls 10 inch diameter range, there are minimal vibration issues. When turning over that 10 inch diameter and coring, the vibration issues increase. On the Vicmark, the vibration starts at pieces in the 12 to 14 inch range. I do make heavy cuts, and use the scraper as my primary roughing tool which would add to vibration issues. So, what is the difference between the Vicmark and AB and Oneway? To me, it is the headstock design. Both the Oneway and AB have a headstock where the main spindle is in a capsule that can be unbolted from the headstock tower for ease of replacement. This capsule includes a bell housing on the bearings that protrudes a couple of inches off of the headstock tower. Some lathes are using this design, and/or adding a protrusion from the headstock for 'access' to the back side of the bowl. What this does, is when you mount your chuck onto the headstock, the jaw face is now 2+ inches farther away from the headstock tower. This, to me, is what adds to the vibration issues, especially if you are not using the tailstock. You essentially have a longer lever arm off of the tower. It does make a difference and is some what similar to what happens when you turn hollow forms. You go longer and you need a steady rest. When you extend out farther off of the headstock, you get more vibration. With the Vicmark, the headstock spindle face is right on the tower, some what similar to how my old 3520A was. Some say that the stainless steel ways of the Robust and Oneway lathes adds to vibration because there is no dampening of vibration like cast iron can make. I did notice that the steel lathes make different noises when turning, but can't tell there are any other differences.

The Vicmark 240: When I do a demo on a fixed headstock long bed lathe, I have to practice with my lathe in that set up. I don't like turning long bed style because I prefer to keep my arms in close, and not reach away from my body (Stuart Batty style) or bend over. I guess I could get used to that style, but after turning with sliding headstocks for 20 years, I can't see why I would ever go back. With a pivoting headstock, you can turn a long bed lathe into a bowl lathe. The first pivoting ones I saw were the Jet 14 inch lathes with the reeves drive. They could not use the standard banjo, and used an extension which vibrated without even having wood mounted on the lathe. The Nova DVR, and I think their older 16 inch lathe had a pivoting headstock lathe. While it did work, you had to fiddle with it when you move it back to long bed style to make sure the centers lined up. I can't remember if there are set stops for how far you can pivot. With the Vic, there are 2 stops, 30 and 90 degrees. With the 30 degree stop, you can use the standard banjo that comes with the lathe. With the 90 degree stop, you need to use the set up that goes down to the floor. I found it cumbersome for standard bowl turning. The plate the headstock pivots on is about 9 inch diameter. When pivoted to the 30 or 90 degree setting, there is a set screw on the plate that you use to eliminate vibration. If you don't use it, you get a small bit of vibration. The older versions of the 240 had the mid way stop at 45 degrees. I would think that would have made using the standard banjo a bit short other than on small bowls. I seldom turn over about 14 inch diameter as those bowls just don't sell well for me. Looks like the 240 can turn slightly over 18 inch diameter. With my 14 inch bowls, there are no issue of getting the banjo under the rim of the bowl. Can't remember how Nova did it. The 30 degree pivot point seems to be ideal as I can stand up straight and there is easy clearance for turning both the inside and outside of a bowl. The 240 had a 2 hp motor, and for some reason, it feels at least as strong as the 3 hp on my AB. I know Brent has switched to a 'more efficient' motor on the AB, so that may be part of it. As I said earlier, I prefer the 3 speed ranges. With most 2 speed lathes, low speed range is up to about 1500, and high speed range is up to 3000. The low speed range is fine for coring and heavy cutting like production turners want, but too slow for some of the smaller bowls. The high speed range does have the speed for smaller bowls, but most lathes don't like coring, specifically with the McNaughton, in the high speed range. That may have changed with some of the newer motors, but I don't really know. I don't know how much the Vic weighs. I was able to get it off the truck and into the shop by myself by using 8 foot 4 X 4s and levering it up onto dollies. It was a bit much for me to slide it around on the concrete floor in my shop. It does not have a mobility kit of any sort with it because, "once you have it in place, why would you ever move it?' For me, I might want to move it if I have a guest turner for a work shop in my shop and they want to use the Vic. I would have to go through making sure it was leveled properly in any new position. So, it has a dedicated place in the shop, and we can move chairs easier than we can move the lathe. I do like the idea of the red emergency off bar along the front side of the lathe. I have bumped it numerous times, and will eventually get used to it. As far as fit and finish go, I would say that the Vic, Oneway, and Robust lathes are all very close to each other. I am picky that way. Family business in the midwest (Gray Mfg.) kind of taught me to pay attention to details, and I notice this about all 3 of these lathes. Oh, the pivot away tailstock. I do pull it off rather than keep it up on the pivot away part. They have a horizontal bar on the end of the lathe bed and a slot on the pivoting part of the bed. This means that when you pivot the tailstock away and move it back into place, it goes back exactly to height and center line. Very good set up. I was never able to fiddle with the set up on my Robust so that I could leave the tailstock on the extension and have it line up with the headstock.

robo hip