Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oneway 1640 or Robust Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I hate to think the deal breaker is a metric spindle. After talking to Oneway, they wont budge on the spindle due to safety concerns
    The M33 spindle on my Oneway 2436 has never been an issue as far as being able to get accessories for it including direct threading chucks. If that were not the case I wouldn't be opposed to an adapter. The spindle on the Oneway is superb and properly hardened.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    What throws me is the #3 MT in the tailstock quill - whatever possessed them to do that???? ;-)
    While it's certainly inconvenience, it's likely because of the huge weight capacity that the big OneWay machines supports
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've always wondered why big heavy lathes use #2 MT's at either end. A #3 seems much more commensurate with the rest of the components on a big lathe.

My Conover was #3 at the headstock and #2 at the tailstock, another perplexing choice. Having both ends the same is way more convenient if you have things you'd like to use at either end, like a Jacobs chuck.

FWIW, I have owned a Oneway 2436 since the mid 90's and have turned a lot of bowls. It is a great lathe. I am also a personal friend of Brent English, the founder of Robust. When he decided to build the Robust, he interviewed most of the woodturners in our local woodturning club and asked what they did and didn't like about their lathes. He incorporated many features into the Robust that other lathes lacked. While I think the Oneway and Robust are on par regarding build quality, the Robust incorporated several features the Oneway lacked. A few that come to mind are adjustable legs, movable headstock, tilt away tailstock, magnetic control box on a cord instead of a rotating pipe, holder for lathe tools, task light holder, etc. While they both will turn bowls and are quality machines, if I had it to do again, I would buy the Robust (but I am a bit biased).

Just wondering how each compares in delivered price in the US? Up here above the 49th with the inflated US $$ the Oneway I believe is considerably cheaper. The S16 $8500.00CA without shipping while the Oneway is $4250.00 CA without shipping. Are costs similar in the US?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Just wondering how each compares in delivered price in the US? Up here above the 49th with the inflated US $$ the Oneway I believe is considerably cheaper. The S16 $8500.00CA without shipping while the Oneway is $4250.00 CA without shipping. Are costs similar in the US?
    The Sweet 16 is cheaper here in the states. The 1640 is the same price. I ordered Oneway 2436 and the shipping will be over $500.00 U S dollars

This is interesting as my comparison was based on the price of the S16 on a US site I converted that to Canadian $$ and compared that to the cost in
    Canadian funds here in canada. So to sum up the S16 here in Canada shipped to my address would be just about double what the Oneway would be shipped to the same address? I'm not trying slam one to the other just comparing what either would cost here in Canada. I would assume if we used the US dollar and did a similar comparison the results would be similar, am I missing something Mark?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

This is interesting as my comparison was based on the price of the S16 on a US site I converted that to Canadian $$ and compared that to the cost in
    Canadian funds here in canada. So to sum up the S16 here in Canada shipped to my address would be just about double what the Oneway would be shipped to the same address? I'm not trying slam one to the other just comparing what either would cost here in Canada. I would assume if we used the US dollar and did a similar comparison the results would be similar, am I missing something Mark?
    The 1640 was quoted to me at $4510.00 with 2hp motor. The Sweet 16 according to the Robust website is $6895.00 with 2hp motor. Prices not including any sales tax or shipping. That's $2385.00 difference

I ended up ordering a Oneway 2436 with 3hp motor for $6481.00. A Robust AB standard bed with 3hp motor is $7325.00. That's $844.00 difference. Not including any sales tax or shipping. For about $890.00 more you can get a stainless bed on the 2436. Like the comparision between the Sweet 16 and the 1640, it's not exactly apples to apples. The Robusts have more whistles and bells and the Oneways are a heavier machine weight wise

I have a 3HP Oneway. I like it. I have not really ever used another lather much to compare. Some negatives to consider are that the spindle is 33M which is an unusual threading so most chucks, etc do not fit and you have to buy oneway. or put in an adapter and the tail stock is 3MT not 2MT like most lathes. So another issue. So especially if you have a lot of equipment something to consider.