Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need To Buy a Decent Benchtop CNC Under $1000. Suggestions?

Jim forgot about the American made ShopBot Tools in Durham North Carolina.
    Talk to your tax expert about the Tax Law 179, assuming you have a registered company.

It's a risk but you might consider bidding a large job that will pay for a higher quality CNC Router. That's what I did, paid for my 4 by 8 foot ShopBot real quick.

You're correct, Keith, My bad. Sorry...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Mark, thanks for your response.

I "need" to add it for a number of reasons.

The main reason is, for years I've been jobbing out my work to local machine shops. The work is good quality, but the lead times with the best vendors (I've learned to use only the best shops, which are also the busiest shops) can run 4-6 weeks. That's killer for a small online retailer with quick turns. Worse, on CNC work in particular, they charge $500-600 for setup, and the only way that makes sense is to run a couple hundred units at a time. Then I have far too much inventory and far too much capital tied up in that inventory.

I bought a very nice Epilog laser last year, which cuts most of our materials just great. However, several others get far too much char with laser and do much better machined. Thus CNC.

I do not have a lot of physical space, so I need something small.

Thank You,
    Scott
    If you are not adverse to financing, you can use PayPal Credit in the Shapeoko store. So long as you are diligent in planning and sticking to a payment plan you get 6mo same as cash. That will stretch your $1000 a bit, especially if you are able to start "saving" money on jobs by moving them in-house.

However, if you somehow screw up and don't get it paid off by the 6th month the back interest applies and well, not good.

Most places that list PayPal as a payment option will also accept PayPal Credit. This does require you provide a payment guarantee to PP-C and can affect your personal credit score if you set it up in your name. Not sure if it can be used with a corporate pCard but might be worth investigating.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Have you looked at the Shaper Origin?
    $2500 but does a lot and not limited to certain size work.
    It has no problems cutting cast acrylic, Nylon 6/6, Delrin. But keep in mind that the SO is not exactly the same force-multiplier as a gantry style CNC. Because the SO require constant engagement by the operator, that operator can't be doing a 2nd task. However with a "true" CNC the operator can be monitoring the CNC (not always best idea to let them run unattended) while doing other tasks such as additional CAD or deburing of already milled parts.

The SO however is GREAT for stuff too large or one-off fixture projects. Another claim to fame is portability and I've done that a few times, making a project much easier because the mountain could come to Mohamed. It can take some creative jigging however to set up a job with the SO simply because it doesn't have fixed points of reference.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.