Thread: Shaper Origin guided router - anybody use one

Shaper Origin guided router - anybody use one

I'm curious whether anyone here has or has used the Shaper Origin router system, and if so, what y'all think of it (aside from it being pricey as all get-out).

Posting here rather than in the CNC forum, 'cause I don't think the think really is a CNC router in the usual sense of the word - more an autocorrecting hand guided template router.

Following this with relish. You must have just gotten the same facebook ad I did...

I've had my Shaper Origin for about 8 months now, just got the Workstation about 6 weeks ago.

It's good for doing novel stuff, more artsy than practical woodworking.

On the small stuff, I think it is extremely accurate, not sure I'd trust it for cutting a long straight line, but that's what track saw is for.

On these cutting boards, I used the Shaper Origin to cut out the inlay areas which I filled with colored epoxy.

This one, I inlaid a piece of 1/4" maple plywood, cut by the SO and then cut the inlay for the epoxy fill with the SO.

I made this coaster holder and coasters with the Shaper Origin. I painted the engraved areas.

Made these Sock Blockers for the wife's knitting projects.

A sign for the wife's knitting room

I made these coasters for my Son (not selling them). We've bought 6 KTM motorcycles, so I didn't feel guilty using the logo for some personal use coasters.

I think at some point I will get a 4'x4' CNC. That may make the SO redundant for most of the types of projects I would use a CNC.

The Workstation, I'm still a little on the fence as to it's value. It's working surface is a little small.

I've uses it with 6mm, 3mm, 2mm, 1mm and 0.5mm bits successfully. I've broken two 0.5mm bits, so far, but at 10 for about $12, that's not that heart breaking.

It can be a bit tedious to use. I'm currently making bread boards for Xmas presents, mostly using the 6mm bit. Each board is about 14"x 8" but requires about an hour of routing.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 12-08-2020 at 9:37 AM.

It is pricey, but it provides an unlimited work space 4"x8" or 4'x8' or 40'x80' as long as you have the domino tape. I think it is more CNC than "autocorrecting hand guided template router" would suggest. But it has it's limitations especially in the Z axis range. That's not to say that description is totally wrong either. It does work on the "If you can keep the line in the window, I'll take it from there" approach which is different from the "load file, press go" of a CNC.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Following this with relish. You must have just gotten the same facebook ad I did...
    Never had a facebook account, but the magic of ad networks is if you express any interest in a topic like CNC, the sellers will track you down. Shaper must have put some money into the major add brokers recently.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I've had my Shaper Origin for about 8 months now, just got the Workstation about 6 weeks ago.

It's good for doing novel stuff, more artsy than practical woodworking.
    More or less what I guessed when I looked at a couple of videos ... which makes the price even more astonishing.

There are several threads here on the Shaper Origin that may be helpful to you. And yes, it really is CNC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was looking at one too, ran across a survey they did asking people if they would buy it for 1500. I guess if went so well they bumped it to 2500 plus 500 or so for the table. Their Black Friday special amounted to about 237 off the whole 3000 package.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And yes, it really is CNC.
    I respectfully disagree. It uses the same technology as a CNC machine, but it lacks the second "C" - "controlled." It's computer numerically adjusted - like a highly flexible DRO on milling machine, you can't tell it what to do, only do things more precisely than completely by eye and hand.

The product is owned by Festool, so there's little they do in the way of incentives.

I thank the US government for my purchase. I used my wife's and my stimulus check from the first round of COVID relief. Figured I needed to push that money right back into the economy.

I also have one, since February.

1) Shaper is NOT owned by Festool. They are both owned by the same parent company, TTS Tooltechnic Systems. This is a common misconception as soon as people see the Systainer, etc. The router motor is based on a Festool design and I believe Festool or their OEM is making them for Shaper. The collets are interchangeable for example.
    2) The SO requires your constant presence, literally hands-on, so it is not the same force-multiplier as a gantry style CNC.
    3) It isn't an ideal choice if you want to do 3d or 2.5d work. It can sort of do 2.5d but you are in for a long slog as you have to change heights manually.
    4) The barrier to CAD is very low as you can either do on-board design and lettering (single stroke font) or import SVGs from just about any of the graphics packages capable of generating them. Inside/outside/on-line cutting is encoded via color in the SVG as well as things like text and pockets.
    5) The four things is seems very good at in my experience are :
    5a) Hardware installation such as SOSS hinges, barrel hinges, latches, etc. Especially if the manufacturer has provided measured drawings of the hardware.
    5b) Joinery including mortise and tenon, T&G, rabbets, dados (including curved or oddly shaped ones), and box-joints. You can do things like dovetail joints but there are better ways for that.
    5c) Creating templates, especially if those templates are large. While I have access to a couple of CNC machines, I've found this easier and faster than breaking up a template into smaller pieces to be re-attached jigsaw puzzle style. YMMV on this of course depending on what sort of CNC is available to you.
    5d) Inlay, both filled by other wood and epoxy. Very easy.

One claim to fame is its portability and while I've taken advantage of this to bring the CNC to a friend's bench to do some work, I haven't done things like floor inlay and some of the other over-size examples presented on the SO web site.

I've found it to be good value for the money. And doing a few side jobs with it I've paid for a good portion of it. If I was a working professional in the custom flooring biz or even making furniture to sell I could pay it off pretty quickly.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Thanks Rob, I was going to sell you out but figured you'd see the thread and respond on your own.
    Chuck