Thread: Base for stainless countertop

Base for stainless countertop

I'm having a contractor install a stainless steel countertop in a kitchen at my cabin. Normally, he would just wrap the SS over the existing formica countertop, but it needs to be torn out due to areas of water damage. I'm planning on building a new base of two layers of 3/4" sheet goods that I'll glue and screw together that he can put the SS on top of.

He can't take final measurements and do the fabrication until I'm done with my work, so there may be a few weekends that we're up there using the kitchen before the SS top is put in. For that reason I'm not thrilled about using MDF, even though it would make a predictably smooth and flat base for the SS.

What would you all suggest? Exterior sheathing's cheapest, though I know it can have a lot of voids and isn't necessarily going to be super flat.

Can you get MDO -- medium density overlay? It is flat, and it is waterproof except where water gets to the back face or edges.

My dealer offers one-sided MDO and two-sided. You'd want one-sided. The back face is ratty, but you don't care.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 11-22-2020 at 12:57 PM.

There's also MDF intended for exterior use. One brand name is Extira. Dunno which -- Extira or MDO -- will be more available wherever it is you are.

I'm with Jamie. Exteria or equivalent works very easily and has less moisture issues than standard MDF. In that, it's a better product even once the stainless counter is installed. Easing the edges will be easy for the steel installation, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would choose MDO, but never 1-sided. You want a balanced laminate.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I would choose MDO, but never 1-sided. You want a balanced laminate.
    The facing on MDO is...paper/MDF, depending on the product, bur I do agree that faced on both sides is the better choice. But I've also found that MDO's facing requires paint to have durability. I used a few sheets of it this year and really like it, but wouldn't leave the surface exposed without a finish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...