Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobbiest, Non-Commercial, Leased Shop Space

Not sure if it's an option in your area, but "Maker Space" groups can be a viable alternative. I joined one for a while in 2019 pre covid because they had a 16" jointer, 24" planer and a wide belt sander; much larger equipment than my home shop. Shop time was limited and shared however. I never really had an issue though, I just milled my wide boards and brought them back home to further process.

Blog Entries
    I don't thing the OP really cares as he hasn't been back to participate.

In case Frank Pratt is wrong and the OP still lurks, I'll mention a couple of thoughts:

1) Repeated, quick trips to the shop: If you lease a space somewhere else, it becomes a hassle to go there. A mile is very little hassle, but still not close to just walking outside your door as with a home shop. This was mentioned in a recent FWW podcast -- what happens if, say, you're at a point in the project where you're doing glue-ups, and you glue up a bunch of components, and use up all your clamps. A few hours later, the glue is probably set enough to remove the clamps and glue up another batch of components. Do you sit in your leased shop for 3 hours? Drive home? And a few hours later, do you go back to the shop? At some point, the driving back and forth becomes "not worth the hassle" and you only go to the shop when you have enough things to do to make it worth the trip. Food for thought.

2) What happens if you lease a space, and invest all the time and effort into moving in heavy tools, setting up a workflow, security, dust collection, cabinets, etc, etc, etc, and then your landlord won't renew your lease, or makes it unattractive to do so? Depending on any HOA restrictions (or your spouse), pre-fab workshops can be quick and easy to set up, even with plumbing, electrical, insulation, etc.

I will mention a building method that I'm looking at keenly as an option if after a potential future downsize that I need a shop building...a metal structure like those made by Carolina Car Ports. They go up in a day (not including a slab) and are eye-opening inexpensive compared to stick built or even a pole barn. Spray foam the inside envelope and do some wall coverings, electrical and HVAC (if desired) and you're done. These buildings are strong, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In my opionon, no matter the circumstances, it will always be better all around owning.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If you are leasing, need to be concerned about insurance and any relevant code requirements including NEC and NFPA. If leasing, it may not be just for protection of your leased property, but if there are adjoining leased properties, the building codes and dust codes should serve to minimize risk to their businesses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I will mention a building method that I'm looking at keenly as an option if after a potential future downsize that I need a shop building...a metal structure like those made by Carolina Car Ports. They go up in a day (not including a slab) and are eye-opening inexpensive compared to stick built or even a pole barn. Spray foam the inside envelope and do some wall coverings, electrical and HVAC (if desired) and you're done. These buildings are strong, too.
    Are those things stronger than they look? I’ve noticed those in a few you tube videos. It seems like a good west Texas wind storm would be hard on them, but I could be wrong. They remind me of old carports from the 70’s, but I haven’t seen one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Helmich View Post
    Are those things stronger than they look? I’ve noticed those in a few you tube videos. It seems like a good west Texas wind storm would be hard on them, but I could be wrong. They remind me of old carports from the 70’s, but I haven’t seen one in person.
    I'm getting the impression that with the upgraded metal option and use of both spray foam and plywood interior walls, they are going to weather the storm pretty darn well. They do have two different wind ratings based on metal gauge. And the quality appears to be much, much better than the old carports from "back in the day". Many, if not most of them, are manufactured in NC it seems and a lot of the installations appear to be more in the south where wind-weather is more of a factor than up here in the mid-east, for example. What's really attractive to me is cost....not including the slab, a nice 24x30 or so structure with 9-10' side walls will come in (installed) for well under 20 grand. Stick built in this area, we'd be looking close to twice that. Not sure about pole structure costs; less than stick built but more than metal due to labor I suspect. These metal structures go up in 1-2 days, depending on the size and customizations for windows, etc. In addition to the "car port" type buildings, there are red-iron kits that are also pretty cost effective available, too. They go up quick with the advantage they can by insulated while being skinned much like some pole structures are. Those are pretty popular in Texas, actually, it seems.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-19-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...