Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Looking for electric scooter for 7 and 10 year old

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    491

    Looking for electric scooter for 7 and 10 year old

    I want to get kids scooters for Christmas. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these? I am looking for something that will travel on a tar/chip road and in short grass.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Clarks Summit PA
    Posts
    979
    No electric scooters for kids. They need scooters that need to be pushed by their growing legs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    2,622
    The scooters look like fun BUT I would not get them for my young kids. Every parent needs to evaluate the safety and danger issues for themselves. If you decide it is safe enough then buy them. I would encourage you to read about the safety issues and make an informed choice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Hayes, Virginia
    Posts
    13,846
    I have had kids riding just about every kind of machine you can imagine in the field behind my shop for the last four years. One of them started riding a small ATV at five years old, he now owns a 125 cc Honda motor bike and is one of the safest drivers I have ever seen. I think age has less to do with safety than where they ride, the young ones just need a safe space.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-24-2020 at 11:02 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I want to get kids scooters for Christmas. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these? I am looking for something that will travel on a tar/chip road and in short grass.
    From my personal experience I would get these:

    Razor Authentic A Kick Scooter - Ages 5+ and Riders up to 143 Pounds - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

    Light, durable. Good on asphalt and concrete. I think it would be fine on chip seal. Not sure I have seen a scooter that would be that good on grass.

    Says five and up, but my ten year old was riding his around on Saturday.

    I would not get an electric scooter for kids.

    If you are dead set on one I would start with Razor on the assumption that their electric models are probably similar quality to the basic version.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    20
    The razor e-90 would be a good choice. My son has an older e-100 and my nephew recently received an e-90. The e-90 runs in the grass easy with a 100 lb. boy on it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    6,105
    Are these your kids or grandkids. If your kids itís your choice, if grandkids itís the parents choice!

    And I see youíre a respiratory therapist - thanks for all youíve surely been doing during the pandemic.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,400
    The review site “wirecutter” just released a review of kids’ scooters, but not the motorized kind. There is a review of motorized scooters from August, but I haven’t looked at it. Don’t know if they discuss one suitable for kids, but it might be helpful. Their top pick is currently on sale for $520, down from $700.
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 11-27-2020 at 5:58 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    No electric scooters for kids. They need scooters that need to be pushed by their growing legs.
    Mark,
    Do you have any experience with the electric scooters? I was looking for information on the electric ones, not the push ones.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are these your kids or grandkids. If your kids itís your choice, if grandkids itís the parents choice!

    And I see youíre a respiratory therapist - thanks for all youíve surely been doing during the pandemic.
    My kids.

    Thanks for the support Matt.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Clarks Summit PA
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Mark,
    Do you have any experience with the electric scooters? I was looking for information on the electric ones, not the push ones.
    Matthew, my only experience is from reading the medical journals https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...c-a9f9415cd3b3 Best of luck, Mark

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •