Thread: Looking for electric scooter for 7 and 10 year old

Looking for electric scooter for 7 and 10 year old

I want to get kids scooters for Christmas. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these? I am looking for something that will travel on a tar/chip road and in short grass.

No electric scooters for kids. They need scooters that need to be pushed by their growing legs.

The scooters look like fun BUT I would not get them for my young kids. Every parent needs to evaluate the safety and danger issues for themselves. If you decide it is safe enough then buy them. I would encourage you to read about the safety issues and make an informed choice.

I have had kids riding just about every kind of machine you can imagine in the field behind my shop for the last four years. One of them started riding a small ATV at five years old, he now owns a 125 cc Honda motor bike and is one of the safest drivers I have ever seen. I think age has less to do with safety than where they ride, the young ones just need a safe space.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-24-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I want to get kids scooters for Christmas. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these? I am looking for something that will travel on a tar/chip road and in short grass.
    From my personal experience I would get these:

Razor Authentic A Kick Scooter - Ages 5+ and Riders up to 143 Pounds - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Light, durable. Good on asphalt and concrete. I think it would be fine on chip seal. Not sure I have seen a scooter that would be that good on grass.

Says five and up, but my ten year old was riding his around on Saturday.

I would not get an electric scooter for kids.

If you are dead set on one I would start with Razor on the assumption that their electric models are probably similar quality to the basic version.

The razor e-90 would be a good choice. My son has an older e-100 and my nephew recently received an e-90. The e-90 runs in the grass easy with a 100 lb. boy on it.

Are these your kids or grandkids. If your kids it’s your choice, if grandkids it’s the parents choice!

And I see you’re a respiratory therapist - thanks for all you’ve surely been doing during the pandemic.

The review site “wirecutter” just released a review of kids’ scooters, but not the motorized kind. There is a review of motorized scooters from August, but I haven’t looked at it. Don’t know if they discuss one suitable for kids, but it might be helpful. Their top pick is currently on sale for $520, down from $700.
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 11-27-2020 at 4:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    No electric scooters for kids. They need scooters that need to be pushed by their growing legs.
    Mark,
    Do you have any experience with the electric scooters? I was looking for information on the electric ones, not the push ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are these your kids or grandkids. If your kids it’s your choice, if grandkids it’s the parents choice!

And I see you’re a respiratory therapist - thanks for all you’ve surely been doing during the pandemic.
    My kids.

Thanks for the support Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Mark,
    Do you have any experience with the electric scooters? I was looking for information on the electric ones, not the push ones.
    Matthew, my only experience is from reading the medical journals https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...c-a9f9415cd3b3 Best of luck, Mark