Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Smith or Not?

I actually have two Shopsmith 510's. I'm not cramped for space but they still excel for some things. The single biggest knock is the set up for each operation but you learn to plan better. I wonder when people make their comments if they ever used one or they just have an "expert" opinion. They are a great drill press. That in itself almost makes it worth the money. They have offset mounts that allow you to leave the bandsaw in place as I recall. IT's always been the craftsman that makes quality pieces not the color or cost of a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I actually have two Shopsmith 510's. I'm not cramped for space but they still excel for some things. The single biggest knock is the set up for each operation but you learn to plan better. I wonder when people make their comments if they ever used one or they just have an "expert" opinion. They are a great drill press. That in itself almost makes it worth the money. They have offset mounts that allow you to leave the bandsaw in place as I recall. IT's always been the craftsman that makes quality pieces not the color or cost of a machine.
    I owned one for a 30 day trial. That's why I know it's way too short for a lathe, and it has a miserable table saw table on it. I can't make beautiful pieces on any machine when my back is screaming at me.

Every tool I own is too short to begin with. I make stands or tool around based to bring them up to a comfortable height. I have 4" pieces to put under my Shopsmith and that is much better. I paid $ 125 for it 35 years ago and been using it ever since.