Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bananas anyone? (quickie project)

Bananas anyone? (quickie project)

My older daughter was going to buy a banana stand for her apartment in town...she seems to always forget she's not exactly rolling in money. I stopped the buy and suggested I would just make her one.

30 minutes and a piece of scrap BB later...we have a solution off the CNC with the router table playing a small supporting role for rounding the edges. (not including drying time for the spray bomb shellac)

IMG_E8485.jpg

IMG_E8484.jpg

Sometimes it's the little things...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice, Jim. I might have to make one of those myself... without a CNC of course. Bandsaw here I come!
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Very nice, Jim. I might have to make one of those myself... without a CNC of course. Bandsaw here I come!
    Or you could just give me a scrap piece of 300mm x 300mm BB plywood and I can just cut the parts for you in a few minutes for you to roundover, glue and finish. LOL That said, a bandsaw will work just fine. It's just a little more work to clean the edges but if you have a spindle sander, that's relatively quick, too.
    --

Nice-- but I've gotten by with unhung bananas for many decades now, is there some benefit to hanging one's bananas?

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Nice-- but I've gotten by with unhung bananas for many decades now, is there some benefit to hanging one's bananas?
    The benefit I see is potentially less damage and more even ripening...but I could be imagining that. And, of course, some of it is more decorative. On our island (the one in the photos) we have a combination banana hanger with a basket below it where fruits including tomatoes are "corralled". It's convenient and neat.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The benefit I see is potentially less damage and more even ripening...but I could be imagining that. And, of course, some of it is more decorative. On our island (the one in the photos) we have a combination banana hanger with a basket below it where fruits including tomatoes are "corralled". It's convenient and neat.
    Sounds like underwear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Sounds like underwear to me.
    I'm surprised that Duluth Trading didn't go that way instead of the "bull pen" design for one of theirs.
    --

Great idea for gifts. Is there a math/physics component to figuring out the balance point?

A very useful gift to your daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Great idea for gifts. Is there a math/physics component to figuring out the balance point?
    I'm thinking the same around the gift angle. There's probably some math that would optimize balance for this kind of thing, but honestly...I drew a circle and a rectangle and went from there. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    A very useful gift to your daughter!
    She's really enjoying it.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    If you don't hang your bananas, how will you keep your other fruit from misbehaving?

Blog Entries
    Nice take in a handy item Jim. Family members are still using theirs from a batch that went out one Christmas. Like you say, sometimes it's the little things.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The business man in me automatically translates "30 minutes" into that being a $50 banana hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    The business man in me automatically translates "30 minutes" into that being a $50 banana hanger.
    For the first one, for sure, if one was selling them. But if I put a 4x4 piece of BB on my machine and cut out 16+ at one time, the cost would be lower, especially relative to time.
    --

If I started using a banana hanger my wife would expect me to hang up my clothes!