Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hickory table top changed color

If this were me, I'd fix it at her expense. I would not be satisfied letting a customer try to fix it. Chances are high they will botch it and chances are even higher, like 100%, that they will tell everyone who built that nice table with the ugly finish.

If she refuses to pay you to fix it I would walk away w/o offering any advise on how she should go about it. That's just a no win option.

Also, going forward it would be a good idea to look for higher quality finishing products. As you now know, Polyshades isn't all that durable.

John

I agree with John ^. I wouldn't offer advice because then she can blame you if it doesn't turn out well. Further, Polyshades is hands down the worst finishing product I've ever used. It will look terrible even if done well. Even wiping on clear poly is quite an undertaking for someone who's never done it. Maybe she'd agree to pay you to go put on one more topcoat, which I bet will solve the problem.

The other thought I had about the line is if it were put through a planer or wide belt sander, and there was some type of hiccup, that could be cause for a straight line across the grain like that. But that would've shown up immediately after finishing.
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 11-24-2020 at 2:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys!

In this case, the table is about 2.5 hours away by the time she complained, so me fixing it becomes a big event.

She came back and said the color is consistent and that only the sheen is affected. She thinks maybe the blanket and strap they used to transport could be the culprit.

She is going to try her own hand at applying some clear poly of the same brand/sheen as I used, with some rub out after allowing it to cure.

If that doesn't make her happy I'll drive my trailer 2.5 hours up to get the table, refund her money in full, bring the table back to my shop to refinish and sell to someone else.

Meanwhile.. she asked me to build her a bench to go with the table. Which I find hilarious given how much trouble she has given me. I told her I will not sell her a bench, but that I will build her one and give it to her for free as compensation for the issues. It's very hard for me to even type those words as I am certain the table was perfect when it left my shop, but perception is reality when dealing with the entitled.

(PS - I didn't use polyshades on this table, I was only mentioning it as a potential way to add poly and tint.. no matter, it isn't in the cards anyways)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I wouldn’t drive up and get it. If they picked it up at your shop and their blanket and strap caused the issue, I’d give them the option of returning it to you if they’d like you to address the damage they caused.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I honestly think you are being too kind here, Bob, but can appreciate why for sure as I have one of "those customers" that I had to rein back (appropriate term since she's an equestrian... ) to reality. It's very clear to her now that I'm happy to do work but it's at my shop rate and with materials that meet "My" standards as the lowest bar. She's welcome to go higher, but not lower.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's the trouble with rustic....the customer never likes where you put the faux defects, or the sizes ,or the colors. And
    You did a great job on grain match! Didn't you know that screams FAKE BUMPKIN TABLE!!? I would offer to split some
    kindling on it to improve the fake authenticity, and resolve to never make something again for anyone who reminds you
    of Ma and Pa Kettle.

I think she put a blanket over the part of the table where she chops onions.....and forgot to remove it. She must have
    been thinking "it's 93 million miles away....what could happen ?

Man this is really mystifying. Is there any chance part of this table was exposed to sunlight while it was parked in the garage for a week? If it was only half covered and and got beaming sun every day for a week, on a finish that’s not completely cured, I could see that happening.

But I agree with them driving it down. After you fix/refinish it, they can decide if they’d like to take it back or leave it for a refund. Either way, you won’t be out much time. Even just having that option might be good enough for her to decide she can just live with it.
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 11-26-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I honestly think you are being too kind here, Bob, but can appreciate why for sure as I have one of "those customers" that I had to rein back (appropriate term since she's an equestrian... ) to reality. It's very clear to her now that I'm happy to do work but it's at my shop rate and with materials that meet "My" standards as the lowest bar. She's welcome to go higher, but not lower.

The sticky thing here is that the customer works with me at my actual job (the one that pays for me to have the hobby that occasionally sells a table for a steal of a price) and she's just as picky/vocal in that environment. I worry that if I do anything less than take it on the chin, there could be ramifications in a space where it actually matters monetarily. It's the "lose a few hundred $$ to save a livelihood" decision.

That said, she's willing to try her own touch ups. If that makes her happy and she wants to keep, I'll build her the bench and give it to her as a gift. And that will be the end of me selling to those that my instincts tell me are bad news.
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Well, here's how this one ended...

After repeated passive-aggressive comments, and a refusal to answer simple questions... I built her a bench to her specifications and gave it to her for free. She offered me $$ for materials which I refused. I'd rather lose money than accept that olive branch. Probably immature of me, but I feel better knowing I did everything possible to provide a great product and service.

Later I learned that her cabin and my table/bench were prominently featured on a design segment on Instagram Live. Got my hands on a few pics. Seems like it worked out well for her, and the table top is mysteriously perfect again (and again, she will not reply or answer about how that could be).

All in, she got the table and bench for $1000.... so, I broke even on materials, lost money on my time, but kept my integrity and learned both woodworking and business lessons.

finished poplar bench.jpg finished bench and table installed.jpg table top seems fine after all.jpg
    - Bob R.

"Vally Ingtalesting...."
    --

I hate to be that guy, but you got played.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but you got played.
    Kinda what I just said...but more direct LOL
    --

Blog Entries
    LOL it’s not a mystery that I was played. We’ve known that for awhile now. Just closing the loop to show the end of the story... and, I’d rather get played, lose an insignificant amount of $$, and sleep well at night knowing that I did good work rather than hold a hard line on this and risk my actual job and income.
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Glad you got that settled. I have always avoided doing work for coworkers other than gifts. Lesson learned:-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler