Thread: Machinist's Vise Adapted

Machinist's Vise Adapted

For wood I have an excellent vise but for metal it has been a struggle. My shop is small and a fixed metalworking vise is not an option. I have a couple of drill press vises and often clamp one in place as needed but still...

Last year I picked up this 4" machinist's vise and adapted it to clamp to the end of my split top bench. It works great! Takes 1 minute to mount on the bench.

Machinist's vise 2.jpg

Not just for metal, it is good for shaping ebony pegs and other small, close work. It gives better access around a piece and it is higher so less stooping. Jaw pads are needed. Here is a detail of the mounting.

Machinist's vise 1.jpg

And to make it more useful for wood I made a set of wooden jaws. I think I'll trim these a little shorter and add leather faces. They take 3 or 4 minutes to install.

Machinist's vise 3.jpg

Now the DP vises are used only on the DP.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 11-20-2020 at 7:58 AM.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I’m going to steal this idea, because I’ve run into the same problem. I can’t justify mounting a metal vise, because my wife would have crippling anxiety that a forge and anvil will follow.

That's a good method to use that vice with your bench. Very nice! I have mine on a piece of 3/4" plywood with a strip of material on the bottom that I can grip with my front vice for similar use. If I need to put it somewhere else, there's more than enough ability to use a couple of C-clamps to hold it to a surface, too. I agree that having this kind of vice around when doing certain tasks is very handy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mounted my metal working vise on a thick chunk of wood with a vertical piece dadoed to the bottom that is held in the bench vise.
    First time seeing round legs on a workbench. Neat shop furniture.

Find a way to mount a 2 inch receiver in your shop, even on your wooden bench if that is all you have.
    You will find a thousand uses for this option. I have dozens of tools ready to mount in my receiver in just a few seconds, a Sanding motor with sleeves or flap wheels, throatless shear, a 1 by 30" sanding machine, arbor press, tire changer, and many more. Sometimes its a quick table setup with a vac pod for easy edge routing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-22-2020 at 11:49 AM.

My shop has two support columns in it. On one of them, I welded two pieces if 3 X 3 angle (I had it.) On one side machinist vice is mounted, and bench grinder on the other side. Electrical and DC comes down the column, along with compressed air.

Bruce
    Be careful about welding to building steel, and the stresses your vise and grinder are adding to it are in harmful modes.