Thread: Is this a Steal or a Boat Anchor?

Is this a Steal or a Boat Anchor?

Locally, a MiniMax Jointer/Planer/Mortiser (MC90 FSB35) just came up for sale. From the photos the sides of the jointer tables have some surface rust and the base by the motor needs cleaned out. They're asking $800.

As I have a Hammer A3-31 coming very soon, I'm not interested, but have a friend I could alert, if this machine isn't a known problem.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lisa,

What color is the machine? Mustard yellow or white/cream? If it is white/cream, then yes, that is a steal! A little bit of rust is no concern. Is the cutterhead tersa?

Mustard yellow is still worth getting, but those are older machines and they never appeared as robust or well designed as the newer models. The jointer table castings appear very thin to me. The base cabinet is pretty narrow. I dont know enough about the hinge mechanism design over the years to make an informed opinion of the older designs.

Now that i think about it, 35cm is 14". I think that only came in the mustard yellow, and wasnt made past the 90s.

That's the predecessor to my FS350. 350mm/13.68" bed width. I've seen nice restorations, so if the person you are thinking of is handy and willing to put in the elbow grease to recondition it, it might be a great tool for them. Surface rust on the tables of older gear isn't unusual and is easy to deal with. It's the mechanical condition that counts more.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It is the mustard yellow color. The friend is mostly clueless on restoring a tool, but willing to put in lots of elbow grease with guidance, which I can provide. Thanks for your help on this. I'll give him a call and let him know it is available.

Just help him look it over very carefully relative to the mechanics. Like I said, surface rust...no issue. But be sure the rest is approachable with a little maintenance to clean it up, etc.
    --

Looked at it yesterday and friend passed on it. To me, it seemed okay, but neglected. Sounded like it might have needed some new bearings, but the seller claimed it hadn't had "that much" wood run thru it. Definitely needed new knives in the cutter head. I think ultimately the dirt and grudge and idea of bearings scared my friend away. After seeing it, it probably wasn't a steal, but could have been a good machine with some work.

Sometimes it's a good idea to "punt" when that little voice says to...
    --

Absolutely...

Other times you need to say, “damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!” And offer the guy half.

Yep..DH just acquired another Trials Motorcycle that way. Guy was offering a substantial discount because it wasn't running...DH offered considerably less and seller accepted. Brought it home and it was out of gas! Runs just fine with fuel.