Thread: New Nicholson Rasps

New Nicholson Rasps

I remember reading back around 2010 that when Nicholson moved production to Brazil that the quality of their pattern makers rasps went down. Has anyone bought one lately who could say how the quality is now? I know the hand made French rasps are better, but it's not something I would use very often.

Thanks, Jason

Blog Entries
    There is an Auriou 11/14 rasp currently listed in the Classifieds. It is flat with safe edges. It is tempting me, but it isn't needed.

My Nicholson pattern makers rasp is a far cry from my Auriou rasps and is not used as often.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-06-2021 at 8:28 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

FWIW Liogier manufacturers a hand stitched version of the Nicholson #49 and #50, I own a #49 and it is a beautiful tool cuts fast but cleanly. The Liogier #49 is about $100
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 02-07-2021 at 3:19 PM. Reason: Added price

You might try rust hunting. I am tempted by new hand cut rasps, but I have a Nicholson "4 in hand" rasp/ file combo I got for Christmas in 1975. When dealing with tricky end grain I reach for that thing, rasp to rough, file to smooth with the same tool and so far have not had to buy a more expensive thing.

My finish standards are relatively low on this website. If the thing I built is stout and looks OK I am done, but where I stop many of the users here are just getting started with finish work. Just hanging out here I too am tempted by hand stitched rasps, but it is similar to lifting weights or playing tennis with someone who is much better than you. It is an area where I can improve certainly, but I am not certain, for me, the payoff is worth the effort.

Full disclosure, I probably will own a useful set of hand stitched rasps in the next three to five years. I have no personal experience with offshore rasps and files because I haven't needed any.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and find a store that carries them so I can inspect them in person before deciding.

Blog Entries