Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Found new norton washita stones

Mine also came today.

I have not had metal meet stone yet but just from the feel I expect it will be a very fast stone, much courser than a soft Ark.

A photo of four washita stones:

wasbhitaStones.jpg

The new stone is bottom right, bottom left is a Norton Lilly White, above it is a Pike Lilly White, and the top stone I'm not sure but it was sold as a Washita. Whatever it is not as fine as the Lilly White stones.

ken

Same as Ken, I only had time to open the box today. Just a fingernail test makes me think it's going to be similar to my purple Washita, and a fast cutting stone.

Unpacking the Norton Washita

I did not have time to try sharpen, but I did take the time to unpack. I need to finish a few Christmas Presents before I start testing the stone

Let me start by saying that the entire box was wrapped in bubble wrap.

x01_notron_new_washita.jpg

The box has a "cut-away" so that you can see the stone, but, all I see is a brown wrapping. The stone is advertised (and is delivered as) 1/2" thick but the box advertises it as 1" thick. This is really strange.

x02_norton_new_washita.jpg
    x03_norton_new_washita.jpg

The other side of the box lists the part number WS688-WASHITA

x04_norton_new_washita.jpg

The primary item of interest on the back is that it says:

Norton Sharpening Stones are made of the highest quality materials and are unequaled for long sharpening life, maintenance of shape and smooth cut. To obtain best results, always lubricate your stone with genuine Norton Sharpening Stone Oil. You can also use tap water in place of the oil.
    I never use water on my Arkansas stones. Plan on using oil on the Washita.

x05_norton_new_washita.jpg

Look at all of that wrapping around the stone. It is indeed 8" long and 2" wide.

x06_norton_new_washita.jpg

The part number is printed on the side of the stone. This is the same part number on the box, but although you cannot see the ruler well from this shot, it is very much 1/2" thick.

x07_norton_new_washita.jpg

And my stone has a bullseye.

x08_norton_new_washita.jpg

This stone looks very similar to the stone that they list on their web site (first picture in the post above https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....34#post3071934). I cannot say that it looks much like the others. This does not look like a Lily White or a Number 1, and certainly not the WB stones. There are some Washitas in the next post (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....36#post3071936) like those from Hiram Smith. Looks vaguely similar to something from Rafael Herrera maybe...

Will be interested to see how they work, I just need to finish my Christmas Presents.

Washitas are supposed to come from a particular quarry. The stones we're all familiar came from this site. It raises questions that these new stones don't resemble Lilly Whites or Rosy Reds. Are they just soft Arkansas that someone at Norton had the great idea of branding Washita? Are they from the right site, but they were not selected to match the traditional appearance?
    One needs to keep in mind that these rocks were formed from sedimentary deposits beneath an ancient ocean. The dark impurities may just be color only.

The pattern in Andrew's stone is very interesting, perhaps the ring is the imprint of some gas escaping through the freshly deposited sediment, around 400 million years ago.

I found time to use the new Washita to establish the bevel on a pre-war Marples chisel. As expected the stone is fast, what will be interesting is seeing how fast it is once broken in. With first use it is between a coarse and med India stone, I expect with use it will settle in between a med India and a soft Ark.

It could be a useful stone to have in your kit.

ken