Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Found new norton washita stones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Found new norton washita stones

They have a limited supply of new norton washita stones so I ordered one. Skinny, 8 x 3 x 1/2, probably meant for one of their sharpening systems, but I wanted to give one a try.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/N...one-P1880.aspx

Will let you know if I like it after it arrives but I expect these to just sell out quickly so I figured I would start a post before it arrives. Won't be able to test it until next month.

Kind of excited. :-)

Should I expect this to act there same way the older washita stones work? I don't have a lot of experience so I don't really know the difference with the older lilly white, #1, #2, the newer WB6 stones.

If anyone had experience, would to know how I might expect these to differ.

I seem to think that lily white is somehow the best followed by #1 then #2, but could not begin to say why I think that or what the difference would be. And clearly this labeling was dropped with the newer stones labeled WB6.

Enlighten me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    They have a limited supply of new norton washita stones so I ordered one. Skinny, 8 x 3 x 1/2, probably meant for one of their sharpening systems, but I wanted to give one a try.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/N...one-P1880.aspx

Will let you know if I like it after it arrives but I expect these to just sell out quickly so I figured I would start a post before it arrives. Won't be able to test it until next month.

Kind of excited. :-)

Should I expect this to act there same way the older washita stones work? I don't have a lot of experience so I don't really know the difference with the older lilly white, #1, #2, the newer WB6 stones.

If anyone had experience, would to know how I might expect these to differ.

I seem to think that lily white is somehow the best followed by #1 then #2, but could not begin to say why I think that or what the difference would be. And clearly this labeling was dropped with the newer stones labeled WB6.

Enlighten me please.
    Andrew,

Thanks for the link. I ordered one and will see how close it is to my Pike Lilly White once in hand.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Andrew,

Thanks for the link. I ordered one and will see how close it is to my Pike Lilly White once in hand.

ken
    I really will appreciate an update and your opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I really will appreciate an update and your opinion on it.
    Andrew,

Will do once the stone is in hand.

ken

I've acquired four Washitas over time, the last one I got works the best for me, it is fast in getting a burr and gets my tools ready for the strop quickly. The first three I got feel like they're slightly harder and therefore a little slower in getting a burr. I worked a chisel tonight on all the stones until I got a burr. I can feel the stone abrading the metal slightly more aggressively on my favorite stone. They all work well, though.

20201120_223228.jpg

My first stone, an odd size, about 7 x 1.5. Probably hand cut.

20201120_223215.jpg

My second stone, a little larger than the first, but still narrow. This one also likely hand cut.

20201120_223110.jpg

My third stone, a larger stone, 9 x 2. The odd size may also point to a hand cut stone.

20201120_223146.jpg

My last stone, standard 8x2 size. Almost white, probably a no. 1 or a Lilly White from the looks of it, it didn't come with a label. The standard size points to a Pike/Norton made stone.

These stones patterns don't exactly match the pictures of the new Washitas, but it may not matter, it may be just cosmetic, we'll know once we get them.

I have only one sample of Lilly White branded Washita, a slip stone. Here are pictures of it overlaid on top of the other stones.

20201120_231115.jpg 20201120_231137.jpg

To add another datum, here's a Canadian, marketed as Novaculite stone, hand cut. Sold by the Federal Abrasives Company. It is porous like a Washita, but definitely harder than all my other Washitas. It can raise a burr, but takes longer. It leaves the bevel slightly more polished than the Washita.

20201120_223327.jpg

the wooden cases, some of them have wood ends that are the same height as the stone; or it looks to be the same height. Does that help or hinder sharpening?

They're intended to let you use the whole length of the stone by slight overshooting the ends. It kind of makes sense, a tip I picked up from Bill Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    They're intended to let you use the whole length of the stone by slight overshooting the ends. It kind of makes sense, a tip I picked up from Bill Carter.
    Bill has some great videos on YouTube making oil stone boxes with end grain blocks. I think they also look nice! I need to make new boxes for my oil stones and will use the end grain blocks. Your boxes look great, Rafael.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Bill has some great videos on YouTube making oil stone boxes with end grain blocks. I think they also look nice! I need to make new boxes for my oil stones and will use the end grain blocks. Your boxes look great, Rafael.

Kevin
    Anyone have a link please? I have been thinking about making a few... Would love to see them

Here's the first one, https://youtu.be/-62acG8vpqY. There are four parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Here's the first one, https://youtu.be/-62acG8vpqY. There are four parts.
    Thanks, time to watch

They old ones were sold with grit labels. I think ; fine,medium ,coarse I've never seen a Washita with a pattern like the
    one they show. Let us know how well it works.

Blog Entries
    Andrew, thanks for the information. Got my wallet out and jumped in. There are a few stones sold on ebay claiming to be Washita stones but they seem to be "Made in China."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Andrew, I ordered one too. We'll just have to see how well they graded it. Joel from TFWW sold new Lilly Whites for a little while, until Norton stopped production.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/59

Maybe I've missed some info. Read it all....but comprehension might need night school. The stones are from Norton.
    They own the brand ,so they can change name or stick it on brassieres ,if they want to. The new crop are not the same
    as the others , so I think they are ALL going to be finer than any old Washitas.