Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Found new norton washita stones

Blog Entries
    +one on what Scott said, that box is great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    That box is really nice! Is it just the lid that's let in? I can't quite tell.
    The stone is also let in to the bottom and there are end grain blocks also added a la Bill Carter. Rafael sent me update pics along the way and even a video. He worked entirely with hand tools, from mortising the stone recess and cleaning up with a hand router to sawing out and carving the scalloped base and beveling the top with a smoother. He has definitely inspired me to make more boxes for my oil stones.

Thanks.
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Adams; 02-06-2021 at 8:31 PM.

What a beautiful holder. In the back of my mind I want to make one, but especially since I have never actually had one in my hands it is a bit daunting.

I assume that the bottom was cut on a band saw.

Getting the sides to perfectly match the stone seems tricky.

Is the stone bedded? This particular stone is flat on the bottom, so perhaps not as important.

Hmmm...
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, 2 grit stone.JPG
    Came home with me from downtown.....during the last rust hunt...coarse & fine grit oil stone....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm...
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, 2 grit stone.JPG
    Came home with me from downtown.....during the last rust hunt...coarse & fine grit oil stone....
    Very nice Steve... Is it the same stone both sides, but a different finish on each side? I have heard of that being done with different grit carbides so that one side is finer than the other.

two different grits....you can see the dividing line between them....I might try to make a cover for it....sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    What a beautiful holder. In the back of my mind I want to make one, but especially since I have never actually had one in my hands it is a bit daunting.

I assume that the bottom was cut on a band saw.

Is the stone bedded? This particular stone is flat on the bottom, so perhaps not as important.
    Andrew, the bottom was sawed out at the deepest parts and then chisels and rasps were used to blend in the curves. The stone is bedded into the bottom with end grain blocks at the ends. Rafael cut the recesses with chisels and then used a vintage Stanley router to smooth the recess. You’re right, it’s nice now having something to use as an example for me to make my own. Check out Bill Carter’s YouTube videos, too.

Thanks.
    Kevin

You're welcome Kevin, glad you liked the box, it was fun to make. The Bubinga was a difficult wood but not too brittle or teary. It finished nicely. The details of the box construction can be gleaned from the Bill Carter videos, that's where I got the inspiration from.

Rafael

bbbbbbbb.jpg
    The recesses were carved with chisels and finished with a hand router.

aaaaaaaa.jpg

The bottom outlines were drawn on the sides and cuts were made with a back saw. Then the waste was removed with a bench chisel and mallet. A lot of the work using an inexpensive Harbor Freight chisel. Finished with a rasp and sandpaper.

ccccc.jpg

Bottom part before installing the end blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Hi Andrew, I outlined the sides of the recess using the stone and a knife.

The side walls were cut after most of the waste was removed, then the stone was fitted by paring until achieving a nice tight fit.
    ccccc.jpg

The scribed lines are visible here, the side walls were cut after the interior waste was removed.

Rafael

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Hi Andrew, I outlined the sides of the recess using the stone and a knife.

The side walls were cut after most of the waste was removed, then the stone was fitted by paring until achieving a nice tight fit.
    ccccc.jpg

The scribed lines are visible here, the side walls were cut after the interior waste was removed.

Rafael
    Thanks, appreciate the detail.

Kind of blows my mind how you did that underside. I thought for sure a band saw and was amazed at that thought. Even more amazed given how you did it; using tools that I own.

Excellent! :-)

Blog Entries
    I use these. They never have any issues.

https://www.bestsharpeningstones.com...waAnNKEALw_wcB