Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Found new norton washita stones

I've acquired four Washitas over time, the last one I got works the best for me, it is fast in getting a burr and gets my tools ready for the strop quickly. The first three I got feel like they're slightly harder and therefore a little slower in getting a burr. I worked a chisel tonight on all the stones until I got a burr. I can feel the stone abrading the metal slightly more aggressively on my favorite stone. They all work well, though.

20201120_223228.jpg

My first stone, an odd size, about 7 x 1.5. Probably hand cut.

20201120_223215.jpg

My second stone, a little larger than the first, but still narrow. This one also likely hand cut.

20201120_223110.jpg

My third stone, a larger stone, 9 x 2. The odd size may also point to a hand cut stone.

20201120_223146.jpg

My last stone, standard 8x2 size. Almost white, probably a no. 1 or a Lilly White from the looks of it, it didn't come with a label. The standard size points to a Pike/Norton made stone.

These stones patterns don't exactly match the pictures of the new Washitas, but it may not matter, it may be just cosmetic, we'll know once we get them.

I have only one sample of Lilly White branded Washita, a slip stone. Here are pictures of it overlaid on top of the other stones.

20201120_231115.jpg 20201120_231137.jpg

To add another datum, here's a Canadian, marketed as Novaculite stone, hand cut. Sold by the Federal Abrasives Company. It is porous like a Washita, but definitely harder than all my other Washitas. It can raise a burr, but takes longer. It leaves the bevel slightly more polished than the Washita.

20201120_223327.jpg

the wooden cases, some of them have wood ends that are the same height as the stone; or it looks to be the same height. Does that help or hinder sharpening?

They're intended to let you use the whole length of the stone by slight overshooting the ends. It kind of makes sense, a tip I picked up from Bill Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    They're intended to let you use the whole length of the stone by slight overshooting the ends. It kind of makes sense, a tip I picked up from Bill Carter.
    Bill has some great videos on YouTube making oil stone boxes with end grain blocks. I think they also look nice! I need to make new boxes for my oil stones and will use the end grain blocks. Your boxes look great, Rafael.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Bill has some great videos on YouTube making oil stone boxes with end grain blocks. I think they also look nice! I need to make new boxes for my oil stones and will use the end grain blocks. Your boxes look great, Rafael.

Kevin
    Anyone have a link please? I have been thinking about making a few... Would love to see them

Here's the first one, https://youtu.be/-62acG8vpqY. There are four parts.

Here's the first one, https://youtu.be/-62acG8vpqY. There are four parts.
    Thanks, time to watch

My stone was supposed to arrive today, but it got delayed. Anyone got his/hers?

My stone was supposed to arrive today, but it got delayed. Anyone got his/hers?
    I asked them to hold the shipment since something ordered is out of stock.

So I don't I have mine yet.

I have this one to try in the meantime. The reddish stone is a medium 8x2x1 India. I think I have a problem.
    20201125_005745.jpg20201125_011226.jpg
    Last edited by Rafael Herrera; 11-25-2020 at 10:38 PM.

I have this one to try in the meantime. The reddish stone is a medium 8x2x1 India. I think I have a problem.
    I know that I have a problem...

My Norton Washita arrived last Monday and I used it, with oil, on a couple of kitchen knives as well as my pocket knife. I’m not qualified to make any educated comments on this stone other than to say it worked. My son prepared our turkey a day early and commented that the knife he used was very sharp. I used only the Washita and finished the knife with a series of light strokes to removed the burr. I do have one other coarse Washita from a kit sold by Woodcraft about 20 or so years ago. I will do some comparisons between the Norton and Woodcraft stones and also a soft Ark from that set. Will also try it on chisels and plane irons soon.
    I wish that I knew what I know now... Rod Stewart from Ooh La La

I ordered one on the 20th and still not expected until the 2nd... Fedex is very slow these days. According to the tracking it's still in Wisconsin (6 days after order).

I bought it as a early Xmas gifts to myself. One washita and a crystolon just to try it out. Along with my soft and very hard arkansas I should be good for natural stones and the varying grits.

Interested to see the time vs my diamond set. I didn't use my arks much because I never had a course stone. (I consider the soft ark fine still).

FedEx says my order will arrive Sunday.

I asked them to hold my order and ship it Friday and sure enough, they did. I owe them for that.

Them I need to find time to test.

Mine came. I'll try to remember to check it out, comparing it to my old stone, tomorrow.