Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Saw versus Table Saw

Blog Entries

Track Saw versus Table Saw

This is really just curiosity. But...
    How do people use a track saw in place of a table saw?

I’ve bought a Makita track saw recently and I’m super happy with it. I have a Unisaw tablesaw and I’m very happy with it. I’ve been using both for the cuts that make the most sense for either. But my tablesaw is my go to saw. I see comments and posts about people saying they don’t use their tablesaw anymore now that they have a track saw. My guess is the things they’re building is mostly sheet goods based. I’m curious about it and if maybe I’m missing how others may be using their track saw.

There have been many discussions about this. Honestly, how well a track saw can take over for a table saw really comes down to what kind of work you want or need to do. Mostly sheet goods as you mention? Tracksaw is great. Ripping thick and/or narrow stock? Table saw all the way. A tracksaw plus a bandsaw plus a J/P could be a pretty powerful combination.

But again, the bottom line is "what do you need to do?"

I own a tracksaw and a sliding table saw. I use what's best for the job. And sometimes that's other tools, too. If I seriously had to give up my table saw (and I'd get a smaller one before I'd do that) I probably could make do with my Tracksaw and my bandsaw and my hand saws...but I wouldn't enjoy it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have both and use both regularly. My table saw is a short stroke slider; great for smaller sheet goods but not so great for breaking down a full 4 X 8 sheet. Then the track saw and guide rails go to work. Can't see doing without either one. Like Mr. Becker I use what's best for the job.

Hi Eric, I have both a tablesaw and track saw. Like you, I use whichever is best suited to the task. I definitely use the tablesaw more frequently, probably 10 or 20:1 ratio.

The tablesaw is my first choice except for situations where it is better to take the saw to the work instead of trying to guide the work over the blade.

I have no trouble handling 4x8 sheets at the table saw. The key is plenty of infeed/outfeed support. The tablesaw is much quicker with sheet goods, equal or better cut quality, and more repeatable than the track saw IMO.

If I had to pick one or the other, I would definitely keep the tablesaw even if I had to go back to my circular saw and homemade guides.

I have both and use the track saw mainly to bread down sheets. I find handling a full sheet on a cabinet saw is more than I can do. I often will recut smaller pieces on the table saw to get perfect fit.

I lost my Unisaw when down sizing. I tried using only a track saw for a while and built the cabinet below using only a track saw. Never again. Ripping the long narrow faces and all of the cabinet door frame parts were a difficult task. It was do-able but required narrow strip jigs to be attached to the track which was very unwieldly. After that cabinet, I purchased a portable table saw and haven't looked back.

Now I use the track saw primarily for breaking down sheet goods, cabinet panels, and cross cutting. I missed the ease of ripping narrow parts and milling dados that the table saw does so well.

Wall Cabinet with Crown Moulding made with track saw.jpg

Wall Cabinet Before Crown Moulding made with track saw.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-20-2020 at 3:11 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

I have a Unisaw and a track saw. I use both but for different tasks. Sheet goods breakdown, or edging of raw lumber (cutting off a live edge, for example) is done with the track saw. If I want to make a bunch of small repeated parts, let's say a quarter of a full sheet of plywood or smaller, I will use the table saw. I won't run a full sheet through it, I don't have the infeed or outfeed support and don't need to. The table saw excels at all the other things that the tracksaw can't do, such as dadoes, box joints, angled miters, repetitive small cuts, drawers and case parts, etc. I recently made 80 cheese boards for a restaurant and ripping hundreds of narrow 3/4" thick strips 16" long is NOT a good task for a track saw.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Both is the best of both worlds. I have had the Festool 55 since they came out and it is incredible how useful it has been. I break down sheet goods outside usually with the 55. Handling sheets solo on the Sawstop is just to much, as I don’t have the in/out feed tables to take the adventure out of it and I work alone. They are both great tools alone and in combination.

Sometimes it's easier to bring the saw to the workpiece rather than the other way around, particularly if you're working alone and in a space-challenged shop.

Expense and space limitations lead me to my EZSmart track saw. I did add a slider to my bandsaw, but a Tablesaw never re-entered my plans.

Sheet goods get broken down in my driveway.

I had a table saw before track saws existed. I have always used both since getting the track saw. I agree with the other comments except to say that I do not "break down" sheet goods with my track saw, I make finish cuts with it. Almost always. My track positioning guides make repeat cuts easy but I do not cut little pieces with the track saw. I can but with a PCS sitting there why should I? My shop is 14x24 so there really isn't space to cut up sheets on the table saw without a lot of moving stuff around but with the track saw sitting there, why do all that? Unless you only have one or the other, I see no need to try and make the tool fit a job it doesn't do easily.

I have a 12” jointer/planer, bandsaw and Festool TS55 track saw. I use the bandsaw to rip and use a crosscut sled on the bandsaw as well. For sheet goods the track saw with TSO square and Seneca Parallel guides do a good job. As Jim Becker said small parts are a challenge. Hope to add a short slider in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I have both and use both regularly. My table saw is a short stroke slider; great for smaller sheet goods but not so great for breaking down a full 4 X 8 sheet. Then the track saw and guide rails go to work. Can't see doing without either one. Like Mr. Becker I use what's best for the job.
    Mike describes my situation almost exactly. Today, in fact, I setup sawhorses outside to breakdown plywood into manageable pieces that can be more easily handled on the slider. Being outside, all the sawdust stays there as well.

Whichever tool works best is what is used.

Don't have a track saw and I have no plans on getting one. I have a portable table I slid sheet goods out of the truck and on to it. Rough them to size with a circular saw and a straight edge, I have a General cabinate saw with a 52 inch fence and a Delta contractor table saw with an Excalibur sliding table and the family can figure out what to do with them when I am gone. Until then they are not going anywhere. I have a sled for straight line ripping but I can see an advantage for using a track saw for that. but it is only as good as the length of the saw rail. not to mention expense.

Can a track saw cut a groove, rabbit or Dato efficiently? How about using molding head or cutting a cove or multiple parts to length or widths again efficiently? I also cut dove tails and finger joints on my table saw.

I hear they are good for braking down sheet goods but my $5 circular saw from a garage sale, a straight piece of plywood and a couple of c clamps does it just as well.

For no more that a track saw can do, I am afraid to ask about cost
    Tom

I use my track saw for cutting up sheet goods and for crosscutting. I have found that I get the squarest, most accurate crosscuts with the track saw. It is a Festool track saw and I also own the Festool MFT table. For me, it's that combo that gives me the accurate crosscuts.

Shortly after I bought the track saw and MFT, I ended up buying a job site table saw for ripping mostly. I found that ripping shorter boards with the track saw can be done, but I get more accurate rips with a table saw plus it takes less setup.

So, while I tried to do my work without a table saw, I found that a table saw is a much better tool for some jobs (even a job site saw). I still use the table saw even for cutting up smaller sheet goods. It's just easier.