Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preferred electrical receptacle devices??

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It’s a code requirement now that new receptacles have to be arc fault protected (there are some exceptions.) However, if you have an older panel that won’t accept the newer breakers, AFCI receptacles (used for the first receptacle in the run) are available.
    Just swapping out receptacles doesn't trigger a requirement to bring the wiring up to current code in any jurisdiction I know of (even here in the mother of all nanny states). Other work may trigger such a requirement and then, of course, you have to deal with it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think the ones I've used that I liked were the Levition heavy duty ones. I've never seen the Eaton ones that Doug mentioned, but I'm going to order one just to play with.

When I took the tests for my Electrical license, and also my Plumbing license test in 1975, I got perfect scores, and was the first to finish in the room on both of them (by 20 minutes on the Plumbing test-funny story). At some point I stopped renewing them, because I didn't really need them.

I've dealt with the inspectors in this county for 46 years now. The Inspector won't want me to even call him about swapping devices. I was never working for anyone else, and they always told me what new regulations had come up that year when they came for my framing inspection. It's a thinly populated county, and the same inpector does all of it. I do know about wire sizes. Even though the brand of panel doesn't make a difference, since I'm not changing breakers, it's an old Cutler-Hammer with copper bus bars.

I use the Cooper 6252W-BU, they are commercial grade and side/back wire (not push in). Excellent quality. That number is decora which you may not want/need, but I'm sure they have equal in standard. You might want to check MR Supply for pricing. No affiliation but they've always had the best price when I've ordered.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Tom, I will say this...I appreciate that you're looking at this as an opportunity to buy and install quality receptacles, etc. There are so many folks that will put a few pennies of price ahead of quality, especially for a secondary property like this. There's some real, um...excrement...on retail shelves out there, largely because so many are willing to buy it.

BTW, I agree about the backwire with side screws...great system that's "easy" like the dubious push-ins because of the straight strip with the security of cranking down a screw so you can see and test that it's secure and not going to move.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Push in terminals are horrible, but the backwire outlets where you put a (stripped) straight wire in a hole in the back and tighten the screw to clamp the wire are great. You will never want to use outlets where you have to make fish hooks again.
    I absolutely agree. The back wire type are very nice to work with & many spec grade receptacles have them.

BTW, there are many levels of "spec grade" receptacles that can range in price from not much more than the cheap resi ones up to many dollars each.

I have installed a few receptacles that also have a built in LED night light. Might be handy in a rental.
    I have read that hotels finally figured out that many guests leave the bathroom light on all night with the door mostly closed as a night light. The hotels save a ton on the electric bill by adding a permanent night light that uses much less power to run.
    Bil lD

I was always partial to the 5252 in Leviton, Hubbel, P&S side and back wired with clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Don’t put 20 amp outlets on 14 gauge wire.
    What is the brand of the main panel?
    you can use whatever outlet you want. i use all 20 amp rated regular wall sockets because they are built better. you cant use a 20 amp breaker on 14 though. their is nothing in code about having an outlet that is rated for a higher load than the wire run/breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Just swapping out receptacles doesn't trigger a requirement to bring the wiring up to current code in any jurisdiction I know of (even here in the mother of all nanny states). Other work may trigger such a requirement and then, of course, you have to deal with it.
    I was referring to 210.12(D) (2020 NEC), which relates to replacement of part of the wiring system (which arguably includes receptacles, depending on the inspector perhaps) triggering an arc fault requirement.

BTW, and depending on how you look at it this may be kind of a bummer, new for 2020 is the requirement that new circuits in _garages_ must be arc fault protected. Heh! So if you’re planning on putting in a sub panel or something, money just flew out of your pocket in June and you probably missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    you can use whatever outlet you want. i use all 20 amp rated regular wall sockets because they are built better. you cant use a 20 amp breaker on 14 though. their is nothing in code about having an outlet that is rated for a higher load than the wire run/breaker.
    Yes there is, it’s in 210.21(B)(3), if the circuit is 15 amps, the receptacle has to be as well.

Fortunately, these are all 20 amp circuits, with no. 12 wire. The bathrooms are on GFCI breakers, that all look like they've been changed since the rest of the breakers.

The tip about built in LED lights is a good one. This will be for weekly vacation rentals.

Here's the view out of the great room. The cove at the bottom of the hill is with this lot. We've owned that point since 1977, which is separate from this house. Previously, we only had a 15' wide path to access the point.

I've improved the view since I took this picture last Spring by limbing up, and taking out some of those trees on the point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don’t fall prey to the “easy” way of doing the stab-in method on the back of the receptacle. That is the simple diy method. Secure the wire properly to the screw terminals. The stab ins created some real troubleshooting problems for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Don’t fall prey to the “easy” way of doing the stab-in method on the back of the receptacle. That is the simple diy method. Secure the wire properly to the screw terminals. The stab ins created some real troubleshooting problems for me.
    They’re not called backstabbers for nothing. :^)

That's the trouble I'm bypassing now. All the ones in there are those sorry backwired ones from the 1970's. They just have a little bent piece of sheet metal that both is supposed to hold the wire in, and make contact. Just another example of how fast and cheap became the most important things about building houses. I've never used that kind of device, even back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have installed a few receptacles that also have a built in LED night light. Might be handy in a rental.
    I have read that hotels finally figured out that many guests leave the bathroom light on all night with the door mostly closed as a night light. The hotels save a ton on the electric bill by adding a permanent night light that uses much less power to run.
    Bil lD
    This is one of my complaints about hotel rooms. The best ones have lights under the sink that are controlled by a switch and you use those lights as "night lights" in the bathroom.

For the hotels that don't have such night lights, I leave the smallest light on and the door mostly closed.

For night lights at home, I found these on Amazon. Work well.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.