Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless weed wacker - need recommendations

Cordless weed wacker - need recommendations

Hi all, hoping someone on here can recommend a good cordless weed wacker aka strimmer.

Looking for a tool that works well, rather than cost being the important factor.

I won't be doing a lot of work with it either, it's just that I don't always feel like dealing with the long heavy extension cord to power the electric strimmer. I spend longer rolling out and rolling up the cord than running the strimmer.

Convenience!

I really like my EGO cordless trimmer. I also have their lawn mower. Bought it from HomeDepot, but Lowes is now the retailer for them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Hi all, hoping someone on here can recommend a good cordless weed wacker aka strimmer.

Looking for a tool that works well, rather than cost being the important factor.

I won't be doing a lot of work with it either, it's just that I don't always feel like dealing with the long heavy extension cord to power the electric strimmer. I spend longer rolling out and rolling up the cord than running the strimmer.

Convenience!
    If you are a large powerful man, I highly recommend the.Milwaukee M18 Quik-lok trimmer, it haz teh nuts, and will throw them at anyone in the area not wearing eye protection or chaps. It’s IMO the AR15 of trimmers, if you’re into that sort of thing. I LOVE it! But get the shoulder strap, it helps you with aiming it right. (The shoulder strap is included with the extension kit, just so you know. Well worth it.)

I bought the little Worx one for my Wife to use around the chicken pen, and garden fences. It seems like a toy, but will cut weeds. I wouldn't recommend it for keeping up a whole yard though. The battery lasts almost long enough for her to do that little bit of cutting with it.

I have an EGO and like it very much. It's powerful and has long battery life. Also not too heavy for an old man.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Doug, the Milwaukee sounds awesome. Too awesome! I'd be afraid I'd ding my neighbor's cars when I'm strimming out by the sidewalk.

John, Mike, Tom - one of these sounds like just what I need. I have a bad shoulder so the lighter the better. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Doug, the Milwaukee sounds awesome. Too awesome! I'd be afraid I'd ding my neighbor's cars when I'm strimming out by the sidewalk.
    You’ve gotta know where to point that thing.

Blog Entries
    I purchased and use a Ryobi 40 volt cordless trimmer/edger. It works pretty well. The only problem is if you depress the trigger all the way you trimmer string doesn't last very long, it quickly breaks. I've found that operating it at about 75-80% of max I can trim large areas. I've taped a thin block of wood under the trigger to prevent me from using full power. The battery lasts about 30 minutes, which is about all the more I want to do in one session. While the battery is recharging I can do something else and then go back to trimming in an hour or so.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Talking about strong string trimmers, I only have the Stihl Pro models. My Wife's Sister wanted to borrow a "weedeater" because theirs wouldn't start. I gave her the smaller one, the FS 110 with bike handles. She said after she started it, and put the strap over her shoulder, the first time she pulled the trigger, it walked sideways, and she cut one of their aluminum gutter downspouts in two with it. She did learn how to handle it, but she was used to slamming the string against whatever, rather than watching the arc of the cut. I was glad I didn't let her borrow the clearing saw. I did tell her that she needed long pants, eye protection, and boots to run the trimmer.

I also have the Ryobi 40 Volt, Which has more power than I had expected. I use it to whack blackberry bushes. So far, I’m very happy with it.

I have a Makita one that uses the same batteries as other power tools. Very happy with it - not a "toy", at all.

I also have an Ego blower, mower, and snow blower, and they are all great, so I suspect their trimmer is also great.

I have the EGO system. The lawn mower, leaf blower and string trimmer. All 3 work really well for me. My son has a EGO chain saw as well and has indicated that it works great.

Seems the moral of the stories is that almost all the trimmers work well, but don't loan one to your sister-in-law.

For gas, stick to Husqvarvarna or Stihl. For electric, I got nothing.

+3 on the Ryobi 40 volt. I also have the chain saw, back pack blower, and push mower. Lee I've never had string issues. I reloaded it close to the last time I used it. I also have the pole trimmer attachment which works great. Don't under estimate the chain saw. It will do a fair amount of work on a charge. Plus it's quiet and no issues if it sits 6 months between uses like a gas powered saw would potentially have.