Thread: SCM Minimax FS30c Issues?

SCM Minimax FS30c Issues?

I just took delivery of a Minimax FS30c and there are a couple of things that may be issues but having had no experience before with this type of machine they may just be what I should expect.

The first issue occurs when using the thicknesser (UK). When I feed a piece of wood (I am testing with a hard piece of 6"x6" that is 18" long) the infeed roller grabs it hard enough to lift the back of it an inch or two. This is the best I can do after adjusting the pressure on the roller. Initially the back would go up 3-4" and then bang loudly onto the thicknesser bed. The vendor tells me that a certain amount of lift at the back is normal and I would like to believe him but after having watched too many videos of this and other similar machines I have never observed this.

The second issue appears on the wood after being through the thicknesser. This happens when the amount taken off is 0.5, 1 or 2mm. I have tried to attach a photo that shows what I think is a problem but I will try to describe what I see just in case the photo does not upload (my first post) or has insufficient resolution to display the issue.

I have the Xylent cutter block and it seems to leave faint marks of all of the cutters across the wood. These sand out with 120 grit. I did not think I would get away without sanding but did not expect marks like these. The tech support guy came and took photos he was going to share with SCM but I have yet to hear anything.

On pine the effect is less pronounced but the surface has some rough spots after thicknessing.

A last thing I have noticed is that when I feed a piece of wood through the thicknesser a second time without altering the thicknesser working height I am left with a piece of wood with a heavy set of infeed roller marks on it. I am told this is normal.

I would appreciate any comments from those familiar with the FS30c or similar so that I can set my expectations correctly or get it fixed.

Many thanks, Darrill
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also have taken delivery of a FS30c recently albeit with a Tersa head. I am very pleased with mine and sorry to hear you are having issues. I have been processing hardwood this morning and while I can see evidence of the knives on the finished boards, I generally have to hold them up to a light to do so. Perhaps a very light cut at the final passes would help.
    I don’t get the slap you describe but I tend to feed boards into the planer with the outside end elevated 5 or 6 centimetres and lower it to the table as the infeed rollers grab. I started feeding boards this way with my old bench top planer to minimize snipe and haven’t changed the habit.
    I have not made any adjustments to my machine since it arrived.
    Hopefully you’ll be able to get things to your satisfaction soon. Good luck!
    David

Darrill, I think you have too much pressure on the infeed roller. It shouldn't be kicking the board up like that. I have sold a LOT of FS30's and one thing I can say is that the machined finished on the cast iron tables is quite rough from the factory. Very "grabby" towards wood. Ideally, you want as little friction as possible. My process was to remove all the yellow grease, then buff the tables with an R/O sander and scotchbrite pad with some cutting fluid like WD-40 or light oil. That will knock down all the grain that the fly mill left during machining. After this, strip the tables with DNA or mineral spirits, then apply a good coat of paste wax (no silicone, of course). Also, make sure to thoroughly clean any yellow grease from the infeed roller if you have not, already. Jointer/planers are extremely sensitive to drag on the planer table or slippage on the infeed roller and sometimes, owners compensate by cranking down the infeed roller to boost the pressure, which actually makes the problem worse. I hope this helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I also have taken delivery of a FS30c recently albeit with a Tersa head. I am very pleased with mine and sorry to hear you are having issues. I have been processing hardwood this morning and while I can see evidence of the knives on the finished boards, I generally have to hold them up to a light to do so. Perhaps a very light cut at the final passes would help.
    I don’t get the slap you describe but I tend to feed boards into the planer with the outside end elevated 5 or 6 centimetres and lower it to the table as the infeed rollers grab. I started feeding boards this way with my old bench top planer to minimize snipe and haven’t changed the habit.
    I have not made any adjustments to my machine since it arrived.
    Hopefully you’ll be able to get things to your satisfaction soon. Good luck!
    David
    I am glad your new FS30 is working out well David.
    If I take a .5mm pass I still see the Xylent cutters on the surface. Any thinner and I get the infeed roller marks.
    I have noticed that with longer boards I do not get the slap. Perhaps a bit more adjustment will cure the issue.
    Thanks.

Hi Erik, what you say about pressure on the infeed roller sounds logical but I have tried loosening the hex bolts until then are almost rattling in their holes and though the effect is slightly less pronounced it is still there.
    I did clean and wax the cast iron tables and noticed that they were very rough. But your idea of using an R/O sander and scotchbrite pad makes sense so I will give that a go.
    In your experience is it normal to see spiral cutter marks on the surface of the workpiece?
    Thanks

You will see very small scallops with a helical, depending on feed speed less or more no different them seeing straight knife marks from a straight blade planer.

It also sounds like the infeed rollers are adjusted too low but your description of loosening them so much that they are almost rattling and slightly less pronounced doesn’t sound right. Maybe the roller is getting hung up, maybe loosen it as much as you can and see if you can move it up and down to see that it is not hung up

I have mine adjusted for hardwood, if i was to take a very light cut (~0.5mm) in a soft wood like pine I might end up with infeed roller marks on the peice if that makes any sense.

And yes is normal for the infeed marks to be there if you run a peice through a second time without making an adjustment.

Attaching pictures of what you are adjusting and the wood *would* go a long way.
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 11-20-2020 at 8:30 AM.

Many thicknessers act a little wonky when the material is short and the operator doesn't have the same leverage on the workpiece as they are sliding it in, either. As long as you adjust the infeed rollers so they do their job with the least amount of pressure required, you'll be about as good as it gets. My FS-350 J/P behaves similarly on very short stock and I've just learned to deal with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...