Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy 6 inch Mark 1 jointer?

Should I buy 6 inch Mark 1 jointer?

Hi Guys,

Stumbled across this jointer on craigslist today. I don't currently have a jointer, and have been milling my stock using a planer sled, and a rip jig. I'm currently working on several furniture projects for a small apartment. Stumbled across this jointer on craigslist for $140. The guy is the original owner and when I asked him about its current state he responded:

"Everything functions. Motor and guards work as they should. Don’t remember last time blades are changed. I’ve owned this for decades and rarely use it. That’s why I’m selling it"

Anyone familiar with Mark1 as a brand? Looks like it was import awhile back by a company called tool barn, but haven't been able to find out much else about it. I think its bed is 42" long.

00g0g_dnfYtLTnugW_0sH0CI_1200x900.jpg00909_fnR0XvJDDNi_0sH0CI_1200x900.jpg

Jointers are pretty simple tools and when adjusted properly and equipped with sharp knives, they will do what they do. They question you need to ask yourself is if the 6" width will suit your needs for face jointing or if you want to continue to use your sled for faces while using the jointer for edges. 6" machines also have shorter beds, so they are best suited to smaller projects, although you can certainly work longer pieces of wood if you are careful and thoughtful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jointers are pretty simple tools and when adjusted properly and equipped with sharp knives, they will do what they do. They question you need to ask yourself is if the 6" width will suit your needs for face jointing or if you want to continue to use your sled for faces while using the jointer for edges. 6" machines also have shorter beds, so they are best suited to smaller projects, although you can certainly work longer pieces of wood if you are careful and thoughtful.
    Hi Jim, Thanks for the comment! I'd probably use the sled for wider boards still, but have been using a decent amount of 5 inch stock, and would make that work a lot quicker. $140 sounds decent?

Any advice on getting a jointer into the back of a SUV. Is that possible? or should try to get my hands on a truck. I've got to get it 20 minutes across town.

It kinda looks like a Harbor Freight machine. Junk machines are rarely used I think the seller has given you a clue what to expect.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    It kinda looks like a Harbor Freight machine. Junk machines are rarely used I think the seller has given you a clue what to expect.
    Good Luck

I ended up purchasing it for until I carve out more space for a larger unit. I think the lack of use in the last decade might have had to do with the owners age. Sounds like he just turned 80 last week.

For $150...I suspect it will work just fine for now. It was made in Taiwan, if I'm reading the label correctly. and looks like a typical 6" jointer of its era.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

john I think that you will be able to set that up to work well enough for smaller pieces. I used a 6 inch jointer for about 12-13 years before I finally found a 8 inch machine. At that price you will be able to sell it for what you paid ,if/when the day ever comes that you decide to upgrade.

You done good on buying that one. Pull the knives and sharpen them, clean the machine while waiting on getting the sharp knives back. Set the knives, check basic adjustments on the machine and have fun with it. When you want to move up you will get your money back selling it. If you want to joint anything longer than 4-5' add extension tables to both ends. Level the jointer dead nuts on and then add the extension tables and level them, finally stretch a string from one end to the other to check the tables. I use 8' tables on both sides of a 6" jointer. outfeed stays in place all the time and infeed gets mounted when i need it
    good luck
    Ron

I bought a similar Delta jointer used a few years ago. The fence looks the same as mine but the cabinet is different. I like the fence arrangement as you can put the jointer directly next to a wall and that was necessary in my last shop. I put a set of knives on it from Infinity and they have been great.

My guess is that the table adjustment mechanisms has not been lubricated in its 35 year life. You might want to do that as part of your clean up and set up.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by John Strong View Post
    Hi Jim, Thanks for the comment! I'd probably use the sled for wider boards still, but have been using a decent amount of 5 inch stock, and would make that work a lot quicker. $140 sounds decent?

Any advice on getting a jointer into the back of a SUV. Is that possible? or should try to get my hands on a truck. I've got to get it 20 minutes across town.
    If your jointer has a rabbeting ledge (most do) you can face joint boards up to 9" wide. You face joint, add a flat shim under jointed area, then run them thru the planer. Once second face is planed smooth, turn board over, remove flat shim, and plane away the waste

Note the old fashioned fence has to reset to square every time it is moved. Try to move it around to even out knife wear.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Note the old fashioned fence has to reset to square every time it is moved. Try to move it around to even out knife wear.
    Bil lD
    Definitely need to check square when you move the fence and also periodically as you use it to make sure it doesn't lose its setting. My Delta has a hex bolt and jam nut that sits on a stop to set 90. I check it often as I got used to doing that on a little benchtop jointer I had, but I rarely have to make any adjustments on this one. The benchtop jointer was terrible in almost every aspect that makes a jointer but I was just starting and couldn't commit the space to a floor model at that time.

That’s a good deal if it will clean up. I have a Woodtex just like it. I bought it new about 30 years ago. It is a nice tool that does it’s job well. The knives are a pain to set. I replaced mine with the Quick Set drop in knives. I keep a square nearby to check the fence when it is moved. That is not a big deal. I like the fence because I can park the machine close to the left side of my Cabinet saw.
    Charlie Jones

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll spend a good chuck of the weekend getting everything cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    I replaced mine with the Quick Set drop in knives.
    Can you elaborate a little more on the Quick Set drop in knives? Do I need to make any adjustments to the cutter head to make this work?