Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renal Colic

Renal Colic

For those who know what renal colic is, God bless you. For those who don't, God has blessed you! Hint, renal colic is a kidney stone. Been producing them since 1978.

Blog Entries
    I've never been blessed with that. My wife doesn't recommend it at all.

I've heard, passing one is like living thru 2020, I'll pass no wait I mean I don't want to pass, ah you know what I mean.

I heard someone tested roller coasters as an aide in passing stones. I am not kidding
    Bil lD

A friend of mine died from cancer. Several unpleasant surgeries, etc. Until the day before he died, when you asked him "how is your pain", he'd say: "It really hurts. But it's not as bad as that kidney stone I had."
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Kidney stones can hurt so bad that I wouldn't wish one on my ex wife during our divorce. But I have passed some monster stones with no pain and been doubled over, heaving my guts out with some tiny flakes. Father's day weekend, 2016, I had a pinched nerve in my neck that hurt so bad, I didn't even know I had a kidney stone. Wound up in hospital with kidney stone, pinched nerve, plus pneumonia. Despite having both kinds of pneumonia shots, spent eleven days in fall of 2016in hospital with another bacterial pneumonia. Finally had to have lung sack scraped and drained
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-19-2020 at 9:06 AM.

I've never had the "pleasure"...so far...but know many who have "enjoyed" the experience. Not something I'd wish on anyone for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I never had the personal experience but had two work acquaintances that did. The first (almost 40 years ago) brought the stones into work in test tubes. The two samples were about a 1/4" in diameter and were highly jagged. He said the pain to pass the stones could not be described. The second acquaintance temporarily passed out from the pain during a meeting. The pain he experienced was without warning.

I've had to live with gout for over 30 years. Once the doctors found the right option for me (allopurnol) I've been symptom-free has long as I remember to take the medicine daily. One positive side effect of the allopurinol is that it reduces the odds of getting kidney stones.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

I passed my first one when I was 14. They thought my Appendix was going to rupture so went in and took it out only to figure out it had been a kidney stone after the fact. I have passed about 4-5 since then. The pain is the worst I have ever experienced.

I've never had one and it's not on my bucket list!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've heard it explained that passing a stone can be as close as a male of our species will ever come to knowing the pain of childbirth...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I currently have about a dozen in me threatening to move at any time. I have passed more then a dozen over my life that I am aware of and probably several other little ones. Each time one has hit me hard, it will sucker punch me to the floor. Once the wave of pain subsides, I can get up, but you never know when the next wave will hit. I had lithotripsy that blasted 2 of the largest ones inside one kidney 2 years ago. That was not the most pleasant experience to go through either. I have broken bones and had other bad injuries. None were as bad as the kidney stones.

A neighbor recalled her father having one pass when they were camping when she was a child. He laid on the floorboard groaning while her mother drove them to the nearest hospital a few hours away. A retired oncologist friend has a half-dozen stones hanging out inside her for nearly 50 years without moving. She passed stones in her early 20's and said giving birth to her 2 kids was easier.

I have read roller coasters can trigger stones to move. I have had a stone decide to move after riding the Hayabusa on the racetrack for several laps... the next day, I woke up and then dropped to the floor in pain.

Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. <sigh>
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've heard it explained that passing a stone can be as close as a male of our species will ever come to knowing the pain of childbirth...

Childbirth isn't in the same league, and I can prove that. You see families with more than one child, but ask any woman who has had renal colic if she wants it again. Not just NO!, but **** NO!!!!!!!!! Ask my DIL, if you don't believe me. The pain in renal colic isn't from the stone moving down the ducts, but from blocking of the kidney. In about four hours the body will shut down that kidney
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-19-2020 at 9:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Kidney stones can hurt so bad that I wouldn't wish one on my ex wife during our divorce. But I have passed some monster stones with no pain and been doubled over, heaving my guts out with some tiny flakes. Father's day weekend, 2016, I had a pinched nerve in my neck that hurt so bad, I didn't even know I had a kidney stone. Wound up in hospital with kidney stone, pinched nerve, plus pneumonia. Despite having both kinds of pneumonia shots, spent eleven days in fall of 2016in hospital with another bacterial pneumonia. Finally had to have lung sack scraped and drained
    Seems like dying would either be better or easier. Just kidding, not making any sort of recommendation😷

I have a friend whose son (same age as me) gets kidney stones regularly. They respond very well to citrus, making them easier to pass. The problem? He had eaten so many oranges as a kid/teenager that he developed a severe allergy to citrus fruits...
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 11-21-2020 at 9:01 AM.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore