Thread: new Oneway on the way!

Cool new Oneway on the way!

I just learned today my new Oneway 2036 lathe is on the way! It's been on order since early August.
    As you might understand, I am very excited that it is on the way or will be by Friday.

I have a question for any Oneway turners -- how long did it take for the trucking company (UPS freight in my case) to get your lathe delivered.
    I'm in west-central Florida & want to make sure I'm ready when it gets here.

Thanks!
    Bob East
    Homosassa, FL

Bob -- Congratulations on the new lathe. I'm sure you'll love it.

I don't live in Florida, so I cannot comment from experience on how long delivery might take. However, you can sign up with UPS (it's free) and they will give you an estimated arrival time -- usually it's a two-hour window on a particular date. Sometimes the shipping service selected by the shipper will prevent UPS from providing an estimated arrival window, but (in my experience), that's been with something like UPS Surepost, where UPS transfers the shipment to someone else (the US Post Office, in the case of Surepost) to make the final delivery. So, if UPS takes the late from Canada to Florida, and then transfers it to someone else to provide liftgate service, you might not get the 2-hour window estimated. However, they should be able to give you the day and provide updates as the shipment progresses.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Need to make sure trucking company brings along the equipment to unload the lathe and place it where you want it. First attempt at delivering my Oneway was a fail. Trucker thought I had an loading dock and a forklift to unload the crate. Not so. Sent him back to the trucking terminal to load the crate on truck with a lift gate and return with a pallet jack. Second delivery attempt went smoothly. Lift gate to set crate at grade. Pallet jack to roll from end of driveway to garage/shop/studio. - John
    Last edited by John King; 11-18-2020 at 9:29 PM.

I wouldn't be surprised with 2 weeks. That thing is going to sit in a couple of terminals along the way as they load other trailers to get a full load before heading to another terminal. I especially get tired of it sitting at a local terminal, and then they may or may not have a lift gate truck come out. Having a lathe on a lift gate, with a pallet jack under it, is a disaster waiting to happen! I hire a local wrecker service to go pick it up with a roll back and that guy can slide it to the ground with full control. Usually cost $100, but money well spent!

Sorry I can't help answer your question cause I picked mine up in a small trailer and had a Tow Truck give me hand unloading it. I rolled it into position with two furniture Dollies. But what I can say is the wait will be worth it. If you can be turning on it by Christmas it will be about the best present I can imagine!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised with 2 weeks. That thing is going to sit in a couple of terminals along the way as they load other trailers to get a full load before heading to another terminal. I especially get tired of it sitting at a local terminal, and then they may or may not have a lift gate truck come out. Having a lathe on a lift gate, with a pallet jack under it, is a disaster waiting to happen! I hire a local wrecker service to go pick it up with a roll back and that guy can slide it to the ground with full control. Usually cost $100, but money well spent!
    Richard - Allow me to clarify. Here's the unloading process. Use the pallet jack to place the lathe crate on the liftgate. Lower the pallet jack until the lathe crate is firmly sitting on the liftgate. Use the liftgate to lower the lathe crate and the pallet jack to grade. Engage the pallet jack and roll the lathe crate off of the liftgate and into the garage/shop/studio. Safely unloaded. No disaster. - John

Oneway should be able to provide you tracking info, in fact, I'm surprised they didn't. That way you'll be sure to know when it comes. Also UPS or most other freight companies should call you a day in advance to set up an appointment.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Richard - Allow me to clarify. Here's the unloading process. Use the pallet jack to place the lathe crate on the liftgate. Lower the pallet jack until the lathe crate is firmly sitting on the liftgate. Use the liftgate to lower the lathe crate and the pallet jack to grade. Engage the pallet jack and roll the lathe crate off of the liftgate and into the garage/shop/studio. Safely unloaded. No disaster. - John
    John, I've been moving cast iron machinery for 40 years. If there is one constant, it's that anything can happen. Seen the video of the wife taking a video of a truck driver unloading a planer/jointer combo on a lift gate? It's quite a sight watching the machine rotate 180 degrees in the air as it flips off a sagging lift gate 3' off the street.

Just got tracking number , its scheduled to arrive next Monday the 30th.
    I feel like a kid watching for Santa!
    Cheers!
    Bob

Bob, you will enjoy your 2436 Oneway. I have had mine for about 10 years. But, I must say, that I like my my Oneway 1224 better. It fits my turning style better. Enjoy.
    Joe

Congrats Bob! You must be tickled Oneway white.