Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most spectacular planned obsolescence ever!

I have a much older PC ROS. it looks like a 4 1/2" metal grinder. The pad on that died 5 years or so ago. I replaced it with one made by another company for a fraction of what it cost. I think the threads are standard as even the pad off a cheap pneumatic one I had would screw right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    yeah, but three the same hour after 20 years?

Mr Lippman, please meet Mr. Murphy. Your new best friend. LOL

I agree that the coincidence is, well...over the top, but clearly it was a not a good day for sanding in your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It was God telling you to take a break or it was the Devil telling you to be lazy.
    Bill D.

I have a 50+ year old Sears power plane that my parents bought me when I was a teenager (I'm almost 74). Have used it off and on (mostly off) over all this time. I used it the other day extensively to plane down the bottom of a outside door to my shed I have been rebuilding. It takes a light cut and the blade is dull so had to make many passes. Amazingly the blade is belt powered and I have never had to replace it and the heavy rubber cord looks and flexes like new. So they can make them like this if they want to..... Randy PS And I know as soon as I take it apart to replace or sharpen the blade, something else will go wrong! ha ha
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Once, I had an entire case of 3M sanding belts fail the same day. Twenty four belts shot to ---- at one sitting!

I had a similar experience. A friend who is a chemical engineer told me that nearly all glues are organic compounds and there are bacteria that eat those compounds so nearly all glues will fail over time.

I just ordered a $40K circuit breaker to replace one that has been in service for 4 months, I'd trade for 20 years and $25 in a heartbeat.

The circuit breaker is not repairable, which is the first I've seen in a 3,000 ampere breaker........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I just ordered a $40K circuit breaker to replace one that has been in service for 4 months, I'd trade for 20 years and $25 in a heartbeat.

The circuit breaker is not repairable, which is the first I've seen in a 3,000 ampere breaker........Rod.
    That'll run a decent sized dust collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That'll run a decent sized dust collector.
    I'm sure it would ...LOL

Jump start a battleship, again? Lightning strike?

Yikes.

I wouldn't want to be paying the electric bill on whatever that puppy powers.