Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First lathe: Rikon Midi vs. Laguna Revo 12/16

1. I also have the Rikon 70-220vsr ,athe and I can't say anything bad at all,it have been turned on nearly everyday since I got 3 yrs ago. It turned everything from pens and tops to boxes and bowls and somethings that shouldn't have even tried to turnbut she has performed perfectly every time

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Feng View Post
    I would hesitate with the Laguna 15/24, there have been many reports of issues with the castings and other quality control problems, as well as parts availability and time to receive parts.

The 18/36 seems to be one of the models that has fewer problems (though some still have problems or receive lemons). The 24/36 has the fewest from what I've observed, but I think that is more due to numbers, as most seem to gravitate to the 18/36 in this range.
    Interesting that there should be a parts supply issue since the lather has been on the market a very short time. If there is a need for parts then no one should buy since I would guess that there are none out there who have owned it for more even a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Interesting that there should be a parts supply issue since the lather has been on the market a very short time. If there is a need for parts then no one should buy since I would guess that there are none out there who have owned it for more even a year.
    Yup, this is one of the biggest gripes and frustrations with Laguna right now across the board. They don't have parts to be able to support the machines they have already sold, and there have definitely been problems.

There are many reasons for this that they point to - pandemic, moving offices to Texas, moving sharpening to North Carolina, etc. Ultimately, in my mind, they considered support to be the lowest priority to them, which is frustrating for me and for many others. If I believed I could sell my 12/16 for a reasonable price, I would, but I definitely feel stuck with it right now, which is really unfortunate, as I was very excited to buy it and use it at first.

I have the 12-16. I had to have both the tail stock and tool rest replace. I will say that the customer service was excellent. Now, I have a request in because the tension on the drive belt is too loose. I also bought the stand and bed extension (not used yet). While the customer service is good, I would prefer that the lathe just work properly and not have to contact CS. I'm thinking about getting a Powermatic P14. I was looking at the 3520, but it's too rich for me.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I have a couple of Rikon tools and have had excellent dealings with them on technical questions. They even replaced the flywheels on a small bandsaw that was way beyond warranty. Appears that their newer stuff has a five year warranty, that says a lot to me.

This is in response to Melvin's 11/19 post.

I got a 12-16 earlier this year. First something broke in the tailstock and the quill would not retract. Laguna replaced it. The next problem was with the tool rest. It was so tight that I could not move the tool rest within the banjo. Laguna replaced it, but that took a few months because they were out of stock. My current problem is that the drive belt is slightly too slack. I contacted customer service and they sent me some instructions with pictures. However the pictures do not look like my 12-16 with the pulleys. I think the problem is the tension handle. It's very tight to get open but too easy to close. The slack is 1/2 - 3/4 in and it's supposed to be 1/8 - 1/4 in. I have the mobility and outboard turning kits. I would fix it, if I knew how. I ask myself if I would buy this lathe again. My answer is probably not since Powermatic has come out with the 2014. Of course the price is 2 1/2 times as much as the 12-16, too. I used to have a Jet 1221 VS, but it was damaged in a garage fire. I turn mostly small stuff, but would like to have the power available if I want to turn something bigger like a bowl, etc..
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith