Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First lathe: Rikon Midi vs. Laguna Revo 12/16

First lathe: Rikon Midi vs. Laguna Revo 12/16

I'm looking at either the Laguna Revo 12/16 or a Rikon Midi (the 70-220VSR and 70-150VSR) as a first lathe. They're both about the same price in my area. (The only other easily-accessible option is King Canada/King Industrial, which tends to be very low-quality. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I have a small Rikon bandsaw of decent (but not overwhelming quality). I have no experience with Laguna. I have no plans to focus on any particular kind of turning, as I have no experience, but I'd like something that I can use for small bowls, chair spindles, etc. I lean slightly toward the Rikon because of the longer distance between centres (20" vs. 16"), but I'd prefer quality over capacity – I am rarely likely to use the extra few inches.

I don't know anything about Laguna, someone else will be along shortly.

Rikon quality, at least in their smaller lathes, is good. I won't claim they're the best, but I've used several models and they were all usable and as good as other lathes I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    ... chair spindles, ... I lean slightly toward the Rikon because of the longer distance between centres (20" vs. 16"), but I'd prefer quality over capacity – I am rarely likely to use the extra few inches.
    I think this deserves a warning, or at least a caution. With most lathes you can achieve the stated center distance with a drive spur and live center, but not with other work holding options. E.g. a chuck will take away 2-3", or more, depending on the chuck and jaws. Some of the jam chuck, etc. options, even some of the more elaborate live centers, take a similar amount of space on the tail stock side. If you want to center bore on the lathe you need to accommodate a drill chuck & bit, say 3-4" and 4-5" respectively, or roughly 8" lost, or you need to find special Morse taper drill bits fit in less space. And so on.

Most of my turning has been done on a Powermatic 4224, (42" center-to-center), and while rare, it wasn't that hard to find spindle operations that were tight!

Laguna 12/16 has problems with the on/off and reverse switch and the circuit board.After having laguna replace the circuit board and switches 3 times they exchanged the lathe for a brand new one.I sold the new one and am done with laguna.

Mike Peace, who comments here infrequently and who has a YouTube channel dedicated to turning, bought himself a Laguna 12/16 about a year ago. He posted a review on his YouTube channel. In follow-up comments, it's clear he's a fan of the lathe. I offer that only to counter Guy's bad experience. Some Laguna owners love their lathes. That wasn't the case 10 - 15 years ago. This forum was filled with owners expressing dissatisfaction with Laguna's quality control and lack of customer service. Since then, Laguna seems to have made solid improvements on both counts.

Having said that, I've not turned on the Laguna. I have used the Rikon and like it. You can get a lemon from any manufacturer. As of right now, both Rikon and Laguna have a good reputation for customer service. I'd go with the one that 'feels' best when you're using it. To that end, see if there are turners in the area that will let you spend a little time on their lathe. Barring that, go with the Rikon. It has slightly more capacity and that's what you're heart is telling you, anyway. Go with that feeling.
    Last edited by David Walser; 11-18-2020 at 7:37 PM. Reason: To correct typos
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I have the Rikon 70-220 VSR and it seems to be a good lathe although I have not used it allot. I also have the Revo 1836 for 5 or 6 years and never had an issue, it's a great lathe. I have no experience with the 12/16.

I have the Rikon 70-220 VSR and in two years it's been a solid machine. David Bassett mentioned center boring above--i turn a few hundred pens per year and do all my drilling for those on my lathe. The 70-220 has a spindle travel of a bit over 3" which is pretty unique in that class of machine, so i can bore 3" for single tube pens. Some of Rikon's marketing material (and maybe the Woodcraft website?) list the spindle travel at well under 3", but that material is in error.
    I also have a Delta 46-460, but after a year the speed controller started wandering randomly--so i keep it set up as a buff & polish station where a random speed change doesn't ruin a an amboyna blank or worse. I know amboyna burl grows on trees--but it's too beautiful to waste!! (Not to mention that it ain't cheap!!)
    earl

I have 3 Laguna tools, all have performed exactly as expected, no complaints.

I sold a Oneway 1224 and purchased a Laguna 24-36. I've owned it about a year and have been very happy with it so far.

I have 2 Jet minis (not midi) and a 16". Also have the older Rikon 12" manual speed change. If available in your area, check out the new Jet 12". I have to say I prefer the Jet build quality, comparing my old Jets and the Rikon. I like the Rikon midi, since it is bigger than my mini. There's a world of difference on those old lathes and now. The new Jet 12" is awesome. Never turned on a Laguna, although they look really nice and well built, I would assume. I also have the Rikon 10" bandsaw. I love it.
    All this means is check out the Jet and add it to your list.

did you consider a Nova comet 14DR? Nova lathes have a good rep. I don't own one but would consider if buying a midi short bed. I think it's about $600 delivered to your door.

I give a strong recommendation for the Rikon 70-220. It has a longer bed, more tailstock travel, and 1" toolrest post all giving a stronger lathe. I have had mine a year and find that I use it when possible over using my Powermatic 3520B. I can even see some time in future downsizing to only the Rikon. I did try the Comet 14DR and do not give it a positive recommendation. I had a CometII and found it to have stronger tool rest and better bearing arrangement and the 2" additional swing could not be justified, but thought it looked good on paper until hands on use.

I have a 12/16. I have very mixed feelings about it. When it is working well, it is a great lathe. I haven't had the switch issue that many others have had, but I have had other issues. The oem live center fell apart on me, and I am waiting on a replacement. The banjo isn't the most secure with the tool rest post, and when I am doing rough bowl blanks with interrupted cuts, it often gets hammered down, and I have to adjust it often. I have now built a circle cutting jig for my bandsaw (a laguna 18 BX, a great saw in my opinion) to help alleviate this problem, and I don't have nearly the problems that I had before since I don't really have the same kinds of interrupted cuts.

Because the tool rest post would often slip, I got into the habit of really cranking down on it to try to get it to hold. I now have stress fractures in the banjo casting around the tool rest post clamping area. I did receive a replacement under warranty. The warranty is only 1 year though, and I have only had this lathe since March of this year. I have used it quite a bit, but it is still less than a year, and after a year, any issues will be on my dime.

I do feel a bit stuck with my 12/16 lathe. I bought it at the time due to limited funds, and then as funds allowed, I added a number of the accessories, and have quite a bit of money in it that I know I wouldn't be able to get back if I were to try to sell it as is. I have the 10" extension set for outboard turning (comes with the 10" bed extension, banjo riser piece, and outboard dual thread(LH and RH threads) spindle adapter), stand, mobility kit, and 20" extension for increased spindle turning.

My plan right now is to keep it for as long as I can. Again, when it is working as expected, it is a great lathe, and I do enjoy using it. When things go awry, dealing with Laguna Customer Service is hit or miss, and often they don't even have parts in stock to fulfill any warranty (this is what happened with the live center - they had zero on hand, and had to order from overseas, and it hasn't arrived yet). Turning outboard is a bit awkward, and I don't often turn pieces that big.

I did a quick search, and it looks like you can also add a 24" bed extension for the Rikon. I honestly prefer the look of the Laguna, but I would say that given my experience, I can't in good faith recommend the 12/16 to others.

As a side note though, if this is your first lathe, how much have you set aside for tooling, and what tooling do you intend on purchasing (chucks, live centers, traditional tools, carbide insert tools, etc)? Along those lines, what kinds of projects do you intend on starting with? With how much I've spent on the 12/16, I've spent considerably more on tooling now (This was gradually, as I bought more tooling that would help me with the different projects that I wanted to work on).

If you have any other questions about the 12/16, just let me know! I will say that I don't have anything directly against Laguna, as I really enjoy using my 18 BX bandsaw. I just have had some difficulties with the 12/16, and especially with customer service and they way they treat customers - they have had a number of 10% sales knowing that they don't have a number of their machines in stock, and won't for many months, which just seems dishonest to me.

Is there a reason you wouldn't consider a step up to either the Powermatic 2014 or the Laguna 1524? Cost maybe? Space?

I own a Nova midi with a 12" capacity over the bed and (not sure about the other as I only turn bowls). It's an OK starter lathe and relatively inexpensive although somewhat lacking in power.

If either the Laguna or Powermatic I mentioned above were available when I bought my Nova I would have gone with one of those instead. They are more solid lathe (heavier), more power, have larger capacities, and, while more expensive, they would suit me as a permanent lathe.

Just a suggestion for further research before buying. I initially though what I have would last me a long time, but I already feel it's under powered and not as solid as a larger lathe would be. The step up is quite a difference from what I've seen in person and on YouTube.

Hi Tyler, I purchased a laguna Revo 1216 Last year, my first lathe ever. So right from day 1 I had problems with it. Reverse and forward get stuck in one direction, speed fluctuates while turning, not a powerful machine. That being said I have still made some beautiful pieces. Now that I know a bit more about lathes, I would not recommend buying a laguna 1216. I dont know much about Rikon models , but I bet their better than the Laguna. I know that Laguna is a good company and sell some nice machinery, but the 1216 is not their finest. I purchased a American Beauty with all the upgrades on August 27 of this year, it arrived yesterday, WOW what a machine,finest quality , but it cost me, after shipping and duty (I live in BC Canada) it came to almost 20K Canadian. Last lathe I will ever buy. If Im allowed I will post some picts of this incredible lathe. Good luck Tyler, happy turning!

I would hesitate with the Laguna 15/24, there have been many reports of issues with the castings and other quality control problems, as well as parts availability and time to receive parts.

The 18/36 seems to be one of the models that has fewer problems (though some still have problems or receive lemons). The 24/36 has the fewest from what I've observed, but I think that is more due to numbers, as most seem to gravitate to the 18/36 in this range.

Our turning club bought a Laguna 12/16 for our Ladies of the Lathe program because our Ladies classes were proving so popular. We then bought a 2nd Laguna 12/16 but Covid hit and we haven't even assembled it yet. The Rockler store where we have our meetings and classes replaced all of the Jet full size lathes with Laguna 12/16's. I turned on a Laguna and had no problems with it, I've never turned on a Rikon.

If I had the space I'd buy the new Powermatic 2014. I saw one at Craft Supplies and was impressed with what I saw.