Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 18|BX Bandsaw Huge Wait - Other Recommendations?

Many manufacturers are quoting lead times that are many months out for sales committed to "today". Some machines are even 6-9 months out for booked orders, depending on what they are. So if you need can buy a machine that meets your specifications and is more immediately available, you'll need to be prepared to consider an alternative brand. There are fortunately quite a few machines in that size and feature set available in various colors, especially if you can be a little flexible on budget.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Does Eagle Tools in southern california keep anything in inventory?
    (Paul Marcel showed a mouth-watering tour of their place some years ago, not sure how much is floor display vs. ready to sell vs. inspection on its way out the door)

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Does Eagle Tools in southern california keep anything in inventory?
    (Paul Marcel showed a mouth-watering tour of their place some years ago, not sure how much is floor display vs. ready to sell vs. inspection on its way out the door)

Matt
    Based on the web site I found, they seem to focus on SawStop and Festool.
    --

If you're anywhere near northeast Indiana Oak Tree Supplies in Huntertown has an 18bx in stock. I ordered it last June but when Laguna pushed the ship date farther out I canceled and ordered a Rikon 10-347. Even though it hadn't shipped Laguna wouldn't let the store cancel the order so it's on display.

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff Polubinsky; 11-19-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I received the Rikon 10-347 that I ordered while on sale in August and it arrived from Asia at the end of Sept. Got it set up but minimal usage until my shoulder heals. The table is low at 34” to allow for the 19” resaw. Love the fact that it will not start if the blade quick release is slack! And it has a geared table adj system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I received the Rikon 10-347 that I ordered while on sale in August and it arrived from Asia at the end of Sept. Got it set up but minimal usage until my shoulder heals. The table is low at 34” to allow for the 19” resaw.
    I recently put zambus casters on my bandsaw. This helps raise the table up several inches, which is nice if it is not dedicated to resaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Love the fact that it will not start if the blade quick release is slack! And it has a geared table adj system.
    That is a good idea.
    It is nice that Rikon has been addressing some of these traditional annoyances with bandsaws.

Matt

In case the OP is considering the Rikon 10-347 as an alternate I can highly recommend it. Just like Bernie I took delivery end of September.

The saw is built like a tank. Besides the switch on the blade quick release there's one that prevents the saw from running if the doors are open. Where the 14" Rikon runs at 2950 ft/min the 347 runs at 4920 ft/min which smooths out the cut. And the 4 HP motor makes resawing a breeze. I was resawing cherry for some Shaker boxes and with my old saw it would have been an iffy process. With the 347 I set a stop for thickness and sliced over and over, straight, even and consistent. I've tried resawing with a Timberwolf 1/2" blade before the Resaw King came in and both worked beautifully. I really like this saw.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    In case the OP is considering the Rikon 10-347 as an alternate I can highly recommend it. Just like Bernie I took delivery end of September.
    I am, indeed. Ordered a 347 last week but have yet to receive confirmation of shipping. Rikon is nearby, so it shouldn't take more than a day or two to arrive once it actually ships. Assuming, of course, that they actually do have one in stock...

I don't know why rockler claims it's backordred - Acme tools shows it 'in stock' Also - you might want to check with Morgan at Laguna - his e-mail address is on their outlet site. He might have an 18bx sitting there ready to go. I got my 14bx - was a demo that was on display at some trade show. It came to me without a spec of dust on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Based on the web site I found, they seem to focus on SawStop and Festool.
    I bought my Laguna 18 bandsaw from Eagle Tools last year and stopped by about a month ago to pick up a few items. They are big into Laguna bandsaws and what was on the showroom floor when I was last there included the full line of Laguna bandsaws. I know they can arrange for economical shipping because one of my relatives, who lives in Virginia, ordered a bandsaw from Eagle Tools. My experience with both Woodcraft and Rockler is that if they don't have something in stock it more often than not, takes a long time to for them to order the item(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    I bought my Laguna 18 bandsaw from Eagle Tools last year and stopped by about a month ago to pick up a few items. They are big into Laguna bandsaws and what was on the showroom floor when I was last there included the full line of Laguna bandsaws. I know they can arrange for economical shipping because one of my relatives, who lives in Virginia, ordered a bandsaw from Eagle Tools. My experience with both Woodcraft and Rockler is that if they don't have something in stock it more often than not, takes a long time to for them to order the item(s).
    That's good to know. The web site I found doesn't mention the brand or even bandsaws. Perhaps there's more than one woodworking tool vendor with that name out there.

----

I will mention that ToolNut's email earlier today mentioned Laguna at sale prices.
    --

12. Not just Laguna either. Was in the market for a slider and jointer/planer. Minimax has Feb. 21 and Hammer around April.

Yes, many of the manufacturers are a bit backed up with production right now. I had a short conversation with Sam (SMC/Minimax) recently and his advice was if at all possible choose a configuration that they regularly stock over anything custom configured to reduce wait time. I was just asking some general questions about some things that I needed to know for some future property downsizing and that point came up as being a good way to proceed, even when production gets back to "more like normal" or whatever the "new normal" becomes.
    --

Shipping can also be problematic too. If you find something you want and know it needs to be truck shipped ask for a list of companies they ship with. Then ask which ones they have the best luck with.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, many of the manufacturers are a bit backed up with production right now. I had a short conversation with Sam (SMC/Minimax) recently and his advice was if at all possible choose a configuration that they regularly stock over anything custom configured to reduce wait time. I was just asking some general questions about some things that I needed to know for some future property downsizing and that point came up as being a good way to proceed, even when production gets back to "more like normal" or whatever the "new normal" becomes.
    I ordered a 4E from him a month or so and was told this. I had asked about adding another support table to it and was told it might delay things as much as 4 months!